Malware Warning on PhysicsForums: Showthread t=555249

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user trying to visit a Physics Forums page and receiving a malware warning from Google Chrome. The warning states that the website may contain content from a known malware distributor and advises against proceeding. The user is also informed that the website has already been notified about the issue and to visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for more information. The user plans to ban the advertisement causing the issue.
I_am_learning
when trying to visit this PF page I got malware warning from Google chrome.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=555249&page=2
Its actually second page of this thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=555249

The warning I get goes like this
Code:
Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
www.physicsforums.com contains content from planetsmilies.net, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
We have already notified that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on , visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I'll ban the advertisement.

1. What is malware and how does it affect PhysicsForums?

Malware, short for malicious software, is a type of software designed to harm or exploit a computer system. It can take the form of viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, and more. In the context of PhysicsForums, malware can potentially infect the website or user's computer, causing damage or stealing sensitive information.

2. Why am I seeing a malware warning on the PhysicsForums thread?

If you are seeing a malware warning on the PhysicsForums thread, it means that the website or your browser has detected suspicious or harmful content associated with the thread. This could be due to a malicious link or attachment posted on the thread, or a user's account being compromised.

3. How can I protect myself from malware on PhysicsForums?

To protect yourself from malware on PhysicsForums, make sure to always have an up-to-date antivirus software installed on your computer. You should also be cautious when clicking on links or downloading attachments from unfamiliar sources on the forum. Additionally, keep your browser and operating system updated to ensure maximum security.

4. What should I do if I encounter a malware warning on PhysicsForums?

If you encounter a malware warning on PhysicsForums, do not click on any suspicious links or download any attachments. Instead, report the thread to the forum's moderators and administrators so they can investigate and remove any harmful content. It is also recommended to perform a full scan of your computer with your antivirus software to ensure it has not been infected.

5. Can I trust the information on the thread if there is a malware warning?

It is best to exercise caution when viewing a thread with a malware warning. The warning indicates that there is potentially harmful content associated with the thread, so it is important to verify the information from other sources before trusting it. If possible, it is best to avoid the thread until the warning has been resolved.