Only one of two browsers finds physicsforums

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Google Chrome will not let me visit www.physicsforums.com, instead showing me:
This site can’t be reached
www.www.physicsforums.com refused to connect.

Try:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

When I check with downforeveryoneorjustme site, I am told, "Its Just You" (meaning, "me"); that physicsforums is up.

Firefox lets me visit and sign in to physicsforums just fine.

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Chrome(Google) is now letting me into physicsforums, either (BOTH) regular mode and incognito mode.

Completely unknown problem. Completely unknown return to good functionality of visiting physicsforums. Mystery.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Too many wwwwwwwwws?
That was a typing mistake in the forum post.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Klystron
Gold Member
I had the same problem as @symbolipoint a few days ago while using Chrome incognito to login. For whatever reason the partial name matching on the browser address line appended www.physicsforums.com to a 'leftover' www. I too thought the PF servers were down until 1) loging in using Firefox showed no problem with PF, then 2) finally noticing the www.www.phy... error.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I had the same problem as @symbolipoint a few days ago while using Chrome incognito to login. For whatever reason the partial name matching on the browser address line appended www.physicsforums.com to a 'leftover' www. I too thought the PF servers were down until 1) loging in using Firefox showed no problem with PF, then 2) finally noticing the www.www.phy... error.
I am not sure why any of this would involve a doubling of the "www" part. This was, for me, only a forum posting mistake - NOT what I put into the browser to try to reach www.physicsforums.com. Whatever the previous site failure I was having today, the problem has now stopped. ( I wonder if the trouble involved use of this item in "Bookmarks" for the browser or the password manager combined with "Bookmarks"?)

Klystron
Gold Member
I am not sure why any of this would involve a doubling of the "www" part. This was, for me, only a forum posting mistake - NOT what I put into the browser to try to reach www.physicsforums.com. Whatever the previous site failure I was having today, the problem has now stopped. ( I wonder if the trouble involved use of this item in "Bookmarks" for the browser or the password manager combined with "Bookmarks"?)
Sounds logical as I have PF bookmarked. I assumed some Chrome string buffer did not flush or overwrite correctly, perhaps after an automatic update (?). The problem has not repeated.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Sounds logical as I have PF bookmarked. I assumed some Chrome string buffer did not flush or overwrite correctly, perhaps after an automatic update (?). The problem has not repeated.
No way to know for certain, but the problem WAS only several minutes after finishing Windows 10 Updates; and the problem for only a small number of hours in length - and ONLY with physicsforums.

Before the standard DNS (plural) started not requiring 'www' in the address, some browsers would auto-prepend it. If you included 'www' in a bookmark, you could have encountered the 'www' being prepended to a URL that already had it, whence the 'www.www', which obviously the DNS would not find.

On a side note, 'w' is the only letter in the alphabet that requires more than 1 syllable to say, and Marilyn (Mach Vos Savant) asked her readers (of her Ask Marilyn Q&A in the 'Parade' newspaper magazine) to suggest something better than having to say 3x3 prefatory syllables every time we say a website address. Getting rid of the requirement of the 'www' prefix somewhat rendered moot her concern, but the obnoxiousness of the 3-syllable name for the letter remains.

If we were to call the letter 'w', 'vay', it would bother the French, because they already call the letter 'v', 'vay' -- and if we call it 'we', it would ' make 'www' sound like part of 'this little piggy' -- but I think we should be able to say 'w' with 1 syllable, like all the other letters, so I propose 'way' -- even though that's a word in English -- that's not unprecedented in the alphabet -- some people who are texting (SMS) use 'c' to mean 'see', and 'u' to mean 'you', and 'r' to mean 'are', for example . . .

Last edited:
I have heard people calling them "the double-u-s", 4 syllables in total.
If we were to call the letter 'w', 'vay', it would bother the French, because they already call the letter 'v', 'vay'
That doesn't seem to be a problem. English "e" is pronounced like the French and German "i".
French "v" sounds like German "w".

(That also means www is very short in German)

I have heard people calling them "the double-u-s", 4 syllables in total.That doesn't seem to be a problem. English "e" is pronounced like the French and German "i".
French "v" sounds like German "w".

(That also means www is very short in German)
Well, in English, WC is an abbreviation for 'water closet', and the same abbreviation is used in France, and it's pronounced something like 'doo-bla-vay-say' -- still 3 syllables for the 'w' -- I remember a sign that said (skipping the correct diacritals) 'priere de laissez les WC dans l'etat de propretre ou vous souhaitez les trouvez en entrant' -- which I translate as 'please leave the restroom in the state of propriety in which you would seek to find it upon entering' -- I still think no letter's name should require more than 1 syllable -- I thank that 'w' should not be an exeption -- I think that we should fix that. I reiterate my suggestion that we adopt 'way' as the name for 'w'.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Posts #13, 14, 15 have drifted off into language/letters/linguistics. My original question was about my browser's temporary failure to reach the physicsforums site. I am still interested in any other information or guidance about the original trouble I reported.

Posts #13, 14, 15 have drifted off into language/letters/linguistics. My original question was about my browser's temporary failure to reach the physicsforums site. I am still interested in any other information or guidance about the original trouble I reported.
I apologize for the inadvertent hijack, which I began with "On a side note,"; I didn't mean to derail your thread -- I'll reiterate my hypothesis regarding your concern:
sysprog said:
Before the standard DNS (plural) started not requiring 'www' in the address, some browsers would auto-prepend it. If you included 'www' in a bookmark, you could have encountered the 'www' being prepended to a URL that already had it, whence the 'www.www', which obviously the DNS would not find.