Mapping computer state changes as a space.

In summary, the space of computable programs is large and complex. Using an arbitrary tool, like McCabe's complexity, to measure a program's size limits the size of the program that can be understood or tested.
lostminty
I want to see if we can map the space that is computable programs.

You wouldn't consider complex problems, once you mapped the simplest problems into a space of points you can get a distribution. You may see that these clump. Seeing as several of the variables are proportional to the history of the variables and one is time from then on. You could develop 2D field lines. This could be then turned into.

Technology news on Phys.org
How to measure program state is what? I'm missing something here.

If you use some arbitrary tool, like McCabe's complexity, then larger programs -- ones that have a large number of parameters and several functions, for example, the complexity values that pretty much suggest the program is not completely understandable nor completely testable. And I assume not measurable, at least not easily.

I get that you are restricting complexity, but I do not see what you think is 'measurable'. Content of variables? Using this approach gets us in trouble fast. Here is why: If you have a simple addition of two double precision variables then the upper limit of possible program state "space" is the cartesian product of all values from DBL_MIN -> DBL_MAX by increments of DBL_EPSILON for both variables. --- This is an enormous number. Really, really big. This also runs afoul of the problems with limits of precision DBL_DIGITS - e.g. adding 10^50 + (1/10^50) results in 10^50 - and the problems of undefined behavior and overflow - getting a NAN or INF result.

So. I'm confused.

Last edited:
I excluded the abstraction process. For very small functions you can map it's space. The process described is effectively path independent. If you know the start and end points and can parameterise it as a function of the localised change you can then ignore the space in between and consider them sequences that have a determined path.

One of the simplest examples of a state machine would be a rom only program for a microprocessor that controls a dumb traffic signal, which consists of a series of delay loops for each of the 6 states in this example {all signals red, north south green, north south yellow, all signals red, east west green, east west yellow}. Registers would be used for the loop count for the delay in each state.

1. What is "Mapping computer state changes as a space?"

"Mapping computer state changes as a space" refers to the process of visualizing and tracking the changes in a computer's state over time in a graphical representation. This can include changes in hardware or software components, system processes, and user actions.

2. Why is mapping computer state changes important?

Mapping computer state changes allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior and performance of a computer system. It can help identify patterns, troubleshoot issues, and optimize system resources.

3. How is mapping computer state changes done?

There are different methods for mapping computer state changes, but it typically involves using specialized software or tools to gather data on the computer's state and then visualizing that data in a graphical representation such as a flowchart or timeline.

4. What are the benefits of mapping computer state changes?

Mapping computer state changes can provide valuable insights into the functioning of a computer system, allowing for better problem-solving and optimization. It can also aid in system maintenance and upgrades by identifying potential areas for improvement.

5. Are there any limitations to mapping computer state changes?

While mapping computer state changes can be a useful tool, it is not a comprehensive solution for all computer-related issues. It may not capture all changes or events, and it may require technical expertise to interpret the data accurately.