Marry Our Daughter - Biblical Marriage Introduction Service

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary, this website offers an introduction service for arranging marriages for daughters who follow the Biblical tradition of arranged marriages. Those who wish to list their daughter with the site should click on the SIGN UP OUR DAUGHTER button on the main page. Those who wish to propose to a specific daughter should click on the PROPOSE button on the Daughter’s INFO CARD. The fees for using the site include a listing fee based on bride price.
EL
Science Advisor
How nice...

http://www.marryourdaughter.com/

Marry Our Daughter is an introduction service assisting those following the Biblical tradition of arranging marriages for their daughters.

Those who wish to list their Daughters with our site should click on SIGN UP OUR DAUGHTER on our main page for a form to fill out.

Those who wish to propose to a specific Daughter should click on the PROPOSE button on the Daughter’s INFO CARD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ill give you two goats and a chicken for your daughter.

Seriously though, that's disturbing. Those girls are still in high school.

Woah.. the majority of these daughters are 15/16 years old. Is this not, firstly, pretty sick, and secondly illegal? And.. these parents have put a price on their daughter.. you've got to feel bad for the girl who's only valued at $6k.

Oooh, I just signed up both my daughters, which one do you want Cyrus? One is a Computer Science major and the other is pre-med.

edit: Both my daughters are of legal age.

Reminds me of John Belushi as Jake Elwood in the Blues Brothers - "How much for the girl?"

I'm opposed to arranged marriages.

In this matter, it's the woman's prerogative to chose her sweetheart and mate!

If it's not a prank, it would amount to selling a person if they don't consent.

Evo said:
Oooh, I just signed up both my daughters, which one do you want Cyrus? One is a Computer Science major and the other is pre-med.

Pre med are always the hot ones. :-p Do you accept paypal??

The testimonials are even more creepy.

“I was SO scared getting married so young, but my husband is an okay guy and I am SO proud that because of me my parents were able to get their first brand-new car and take the trip they always wanted to. I couldn’t have done it without your site!"

—Katrina K., married at 14

wtf, I feel like this site is fake

cristo said:
Woah.. the majority of these daughters are 15/16 years old. Is this not, firstly, pretty sick, and secondly illegal? And.. these parents have put a price on their daughter.. you've got to feel bad for the girl who's only valued at $6k.

I didn't click on the site yet...they put a fee up? Doesn't that make it prostitution?

Evo said:
If it's not a prank, it would amount to selling a person if they don't consent.

It also brings in the question of whether consent from such a young girl actually means anything. I hope this is a prank, especially after reading this "testimonial"-- why would such people have children?

“Our 15 year old daughter Mary wasn’t very popular and did nothing but mope around the house bringing everybody down, so we decided to marry her off through your site. Now our house is a lot cheerier and we love our new swimming pool and Jaccuzi! We’ve told our youngest that when she turns 15 we’re going to marry her off too!"

I feel like its a site to catch pedofiles and chris hansen is going to walk through my door.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Pre med are always the hot ones. :-p Do you accept paypal??
Hey, wait, these people are getting new cars and jacuzzis, I think you need to throw a few more goats in there.

Moonbear said:
I didn't click on the site yet...they put a fee up? Doesn't that make it prostitution?

Well, that's what I thought, but then on the FAQ's it discusses "bridal fees" which apparently are fees from ancient times that potential grooms paid the parents of the bride. It sounds very dodgy to me, and I'm sure it can't be legal (well, it wouldn't in the UK anyway!)

Arranged marriages are not so strange. Even though it is immoral, it is practiced by millions of people (most of which in religious customs). I cannot think of this happening in a democratic secular society.

The sad part is the internet is that bad that it might be true.

I'd put my own daughter up there too, but where am I going to get $20000?

Greg Bernhardt said:
These ppl think it's fake.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/permalink/marry_our_daughter/

Could also be a scam
http://hitsusa.com/blog/84/marryourdaughtercom/

I looked everywhere there trying to find something that said "ha ha, gotcha!" but didn't. That's scary, but those testimonials sound too weird for it to be real. The scam part is possible too since they say they charge a listing fee based on bride price.

Cyrus' comment about it sounding like a pedophile trap is possible too...that's just too creepy, and it sounds like that's what they'd attract is a lot of pedophiles (those testimonials aren't talking about 14 year-olds finding another 14-year old, they're talking about marrying a young teen off to some older man with enough money to pay the bride price and support a wife, etc.)

Where'd I leave my chequebook? :rolleyes:

Moridin said:
Arranged marriages are not so strange. Even though it is immoral, it is practiced by millions of people (most of which in religious customs). I cannot think of this happening in a democratic secular society.

It happens in India and needn't necessarily be immoral either. In many cases, individuals are quite happy to let their family/parents "pick" a match.

and India is a stupid place to live, err..
and this testimonial thing is soooooooo cheap and ridiculous

siddharth said:
It happens in India and needn't necessarily be immoral either. In many cases, individuals are quite happy to let their family/parents "pick" a match.

I doubt that those particular people do not have a choice but to act happy?

Evo said:

#!&%@, Evo! My coffee just went everywhere! :smile:

What's weird is that my mom was approached twice by parents (two different couples) interested in arranging a marriage between their son and my sister. This is when my sister was very young, too. I think it happened the first time when she was a preschooler and then again when she was eight! Both incidents happened when they were living in Texas.

So how long has your sister been married MIH? I do take it that's how your mom got that dream mercedes and vacation she deserved for so long. <Damn needy kids taking away all of moms fun!>

cyrusabdollahi said:
Seriously though, that's disturbing. Those girls are still in high school.
High school? Isn't that a little old for an arranged marriage?

siddharth said:

"Many cases" is kind of vague. A full half of arranged marriages have to turn out happy to match the success rate of picking your own husband or wife.

That's a pretty stiff standard to meet. If they don't have a lucky coin, they don't stand a chance.

I wonder if I can get my profile on that site and attract a well-to-do widow or bachelorette...Hmmm. GoDaddy says HITCHASTUD.COM is available! *rubs hands*

Moonbear said:
Cyrus' comment about it sounding like a pedophile trap is possible too...that's just too creepy, and it sounds like that's what they'd attract is a lot of pedophiles (those testimonials aren't talking about 14 year-olds finding another 14-year old, they're talking about marrying a young teen off to some older man with enough money to pay the bride price and support a wife, etc.)

Rich pedophiles?

“My mother thought I was getting ‘too frisky” and that I had to get married right away before I lost my purity to some high school boy. Marry Our Daughter found me a husband and my parents were able to keep their house and pay off my mother’s medical bills. I was so glad I could help them, and being married at my age (I'm 16 now) has a lot of advantages, like my own credit card!"

—Nancy A.

hahaha. pure like an expensive prostitute? it is the oldest profession, you know.

is this seriously for real? there's something about it that comes off as really not kosher ... I actually met a few girls who were in arranged marriages at my high-school. but they didn't do it through the internet, it was like between two families or something like that. which is still pretty weird, but whatever.

Last edited:
Mallignamius said:
Rich pedophiles?

I don't know if in the u.s it's the same. but in Canada the law makes no sense on this.

a 40 year old man can have sex with a 14 year old girl, and that's perfectly legal. But if he possessed naked pictures of a 14 year old girl, he'd go to jail for being a pedophile... so I guess he's allowed to have sex with young girls, just not take pictures, because THAT would make him a pervert :confused:

moe darklight said:
I don't know if in the u.s it's the same. but in Canada the law makes no sense on this.

a 40 year old man can have sex with a 14 year old girl, and that's perfectly legal. But if he possessed naked pictures of a 14 year old girl, he'd go to jail for being a pedophile... so I guess he's allowed to have sex with young girls, just not take pictures, because THAT would make him a pervert :confused:

That's never made any sense to me either. A 40 year-old man and an 18 year-old girl is bad enough. In the case of marriage to a minor, I can only hope that the parents are awake and sufficiently incorruptible enough to close the door.

And those laws really need to be ripped up. There is no excuse or rationalization in today's America for a man to propose to a child. None.

siddharth said:

Or they are like my friend who simply got divorced and moved to the U.S. :biggrin: From her perspective, many are not happy, but just make do because they have little choice of it.

That site sounds too fishy to be true. Though, after reading the testimonials, that country song comes to mind..."Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?"

I sincerely hope to God that this is a hoax...

Moridin said:
I doubt that those particular people do not have a choice but to act happy?

Perhaps in some cases, but not in all. Arranged marriages are actually preferred by many people. For example, web based services like BharatMatrimony which help the family and individuals in picking "suitable" partners seem to be quite popular.

BobG said:
"Many cases" is kind of vague. A full half of arranged marriages have to turn out happy to match the success rate of picking your own husband or wife.

It's hard to find statistics on how successful a marriage is, partly due to the large population and partly because it's hard to measure.

My point is that, there's a different cultural system which exists, which places a strong emphasis on family interaction and status. It's quite common, especially in the rural areas, for a large extended family to live together. (Although this trend is changing in most cities). So, there seems to be a belief in such places that something as important as marriage is best left to the family members, who then try to pick a "compatible" partner for an individual, based on criteria which they believe are important. If both individuals agree to the match, then the arranged marriage takes place.

The family structure in India is usually patriarchal, and so women have to suffer most of the consequences when it goes wrong. Child marriages, forced marriages, the system of dowry, abuse and harassment by other family members, etc are some of the consequences when the system fails.

Moonbear said:
Or they are like my friend who simply got divorced and moved to the U.S. From her perspective, many are not happy, but just make do because they have little choice of it.

IMO, since the population is so large, there's always going to be many people who aren't happy as well as many people who are happy with their arranged marriage.

IMO, as long as people aren't forced and have the choice to enter and exit marriage, the arranged marriage system isn't necessarily immoral.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
that country song comes to mind..."Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz?"

Blasphemer! How dare you equate Joplin with cowboy ****?! That was hard-core rock. If memory serves, it was written by Kris Kristophersen; he definitely was not 'country'.