Mass attached to a spring rotating in a circle

In summary, the problem involves a 2kg mass rotating at 1m/s on a table at the end of a spring with an elastic constant of 50N/m. The original length of the spring is 2m, and the goal is to find the extension of the spring. One approach is to find the radial acceleration, the radial force, and then the spring extension.
jono240

Homework Statement

A mass of 2kg rotates at 1m/s in a horizontal circle on a table at the end of a spring with an elastic constant of 50N/m. If the original length of the spring is 2m, find the extension of the spring.

Given - M=2kg, V=1m/s, k=50N/m, original length of x=2m
find x'

Homework Equations

Ek + Ee = Ek' + Ee'

Fc = mv² / r

The Attempt at a Solution

Im starting the question by finding the extension without taking in account for the attraction to the centre by the centripetal force. I know I will need to do this later.
This is where I am stuck

Ek + Ee = Ek' + Ee'
Since there is no energy when the thing is at rest I use
0 = Ek' + Ee'
0 = .5mv'² + .5kx²
-.5mv'² = .5kx²
SQRT [ (-.5mv'²) / (.5k) ] = x

Problem is you can't sqrt a negative number.. I am stumped. I don't know where else to start
please help guys

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure energy balance equation works here as you found out.

Try finding the radial acceleration, the radial force, and then the spring extension.

1. What is the relationship between the mass, spring constant, and frequency in a rotating mass-spring system?

The frequency of a rotating mass-spring system is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant and inversely proportional to the square root of the mass attached to the spring. This can be represented by the equation f = (1/2π)√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

2. How does the amplitude of the mass affect its motion in a rotating mass-spring system?

The amplitude of the mass attached to a spring rotating in a circle does not affect its motion. As long as the spring remains in its elastic limit, the motion of the mass will be determined by the frequency and not the amplitude.

3. Can the mass attached to a spring rotating in a circle experience centripetal force?

Yes, the mass attached to a spring rotating in a circle will experience centripetal force, which is responsible for keeping the mass in circular motion. This force is provided by the tension in the spring, which acts towards the center of the circle.

4. How does the mass-spring system behave when the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit?

When the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, it will no longer behave like a simple harmonic oscillator. The mass-spring system will experience permanent deformations, and the motion of the mass will not follow a sinusoidal pattern.

5. Can the mass attached to a spring rotating in a circle experience any other types of forces?

Apart from the centripetal force provided by the spring tension, the mass attached to a spring rotating in a circle can experience other types of forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravitational force. These forces may affect the motion of the mass and can be accounted for in the equations of motion.