Calculate Moles of Acetylene & O2 in C2H2+O2 Reaction at 60C, 10mmHg

In summary, there are 735 mmHg of P(atm) in the gaseous mixture of the combustion products after reacting with excess O2. The relative humidity of the product gas is 100% with no condensed water present. There are 20134 moles of water in the gaseous mixture.
matthewsyq1995
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Acetylene (C2H2) is reacted with excess O2 in a container. After complete reaction, the volume of the gaseous mixture of the combustion products is 300ft3 at 60C and 10mmHg gauge pressure. P(atm) is 735mmHg. The relative humidity if the product gas is 100% with no condensed water present. Calculate the moles of acetylene and oxygen in the original mixture.

GIven: Saturated vapour pressure of water at 60C is 150mmHg
Pls help!

I don't really know how to continue

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the balanced chemical reaction equation for the reaction of acetylene with oxygen? How many moles of gases are present in the final state of the system? What are the gases present in the final state of the system? How many moles of water are present in the final state of the system?

The equation is C2H2 + 5/2 O2 -> 2CO2 + H2O
Gases in final state would be O2, CO2, and H2O.
I can find the mole fraction of H20 through Raoults law but i don't really know how to continue from there

matthewsyq1995 said:
The equation is C2H2 + 5/2 O2 -> 2CO2 + H2O
Gases in final state would be O2, CO2, and H2O.
I can find the mole fraction of H20 through Raoults law but i don't really know how to continue from there
OK. How many moles of water are there? How many moles of C2H2 reacted to produce this amount of water?

Chestermiller said:
OK. How many moles of water are there? How many moles of C2H2 reacted to produce this amount of water?
Hmmm ok correct me if I am wrong.
Mole fraction (h2o) = 150/745 = 0.20134
use this to find the moles of h2o using PV= nRT, assuming ideal gas.

use n to find moles of c2h2 and o2 in original mixture.

matthewsyq1995 said:
Hmmm ok correct me if I am wrong.
Mole fraction (h2o) = 150/745 = 0.20134
use this to find the moles of h2o using PV= nRT, assuming ideal gas.

use n to find moles of c2h2 and o2 in original mixture.
Correct.

First find total number of moles. Then get moles of h20. From this get original moles of c2h2. From this get moles of co2. From this info, get original moles of o2.

Chestermiller said:
Correct.

First find total number of moles. Then get moles of h20. From this get original moles of c2h2. From this get moles of co2. From this info, get original moles of o2.

Alright! thnks!

H2Question 1: How do you calculate the number of moles of acetylene and oxygen in the reaction C2H2 + O2 at 60°C and 10mmHg?

To calculate the number of moles of acetylene and oxygen in this reaction, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT. First, convert the temperature to Kelvin by adding 273.15 to 60°C, which gives a temperature of 333.15K. Then, plug in the values for pressure (10mmHg), volume (1 mole of gas), and temperature (333.15K) into the equation. This will give you the number of moles of gas present in the reaction.

H2Question 2: What is the molar mass of acetylene and oxygen?

The molar mass of acetylene (C2H2) is 26.04 g/mol, and the molar mass of oxygen (O2) is 32 g/mol. To calculate the molar mass of a compound, you add the atomic masses of each element in the compound.

H2Question 3: How do you determine the limiting reagent in this reaction?

The limiting reagent is the reactant that is completely consumed in a chemical reaction. To determine the limiting reagent in this reaction, you will need to calculate the number of moles of each reactant and compare them to the balanced equation. The reactant with the fewer number of moles is the limiting reagent.

H2Question 4: Can you use the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles of a gas at any temperature and pressure?

Yes, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the number of moles of a gas at any temperature and pressure, as long as the units are consistent (i.e. temperature in Kelvin, pressure in atmospheres or mmHg, and volume in liters).

H2Question 5: How does the temperature and pressure affect the number of moles of gas in a reaction?

According to the ideal gas law, the number of moles of gas is directly proportional to the temperature and pressure. This means that as temperature and pressure increase, the number of moles of gas also increases. However, if the volume is held constant, an increase in temperature will decrease the pressure, and vice versa.