Mass colliding with a spring

In summary: So, setting the kinetic energy (K.E.) equal to the potential energy (U) at the compressed position allows you to solve for the distance that the spring will be compressed.In summary, we have a 2 kg mass sliding on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.30. It has a velocity of 1.3 m/s when it hits a horizontal spring with a constant of 120 N/m. Taking friction into account, the mass compresses the spring before it recoils and loses contact with the mass at its natural length. Relevant equations include F(spring) = -kx, F(k) = U(k)mg, and the conservation of energy equations for kinetic and potential energy. By setting the K
Loupster
1. A 2 kg mass slides along a horizontal surface with coefficient of friction U(K) = 0.30. The mass has a speed of 1.3 m/s when it strikes the horizontal spring with constant k=120 N/m. (a) By what distance does it compress the spring(take friction into account). The spring will recoil and push the mass back, losing contact with the mass at its natural length. (b) What is the speed of the mass when it loses contact from the spring? (c) how far will it travel?

2. Relevant Equations:

F(spring) = -kx
F(k) = U(k)mg
Kinetic Energy = (1/2) mv^2
Potential Energy = (1/2)kx^2

3. So far, I have come up with the equation that

F(net) = F(mass) - ((kx) + (U(K)mg))

However, I could not figure out how to get the force of the mass since I was only given the velocity, and not the acceleration of the mass. I also thought that once the spring is at the most compressed spot, it will have all potential energy, and no kinetic energy. This is how I would solve question (b) if there were no friction. Since there is friction, this is not a conservative force, so I cannot use the K + U = constant equation. I have no idea where to go with this problem :-/

Physics news on Phys.org
Loupster said:
1. A 2 kg mass slides along a horizontal surface with coefficient of friction U(K) = 0.30. The mass has a speed of 1.3 m/s when it strikes the horizontal spring with constant k=120 N/m. (a) By what distance does it compress the spring(take friction into account). The spring will recoil and push the mass back, losing contact with the mass at its natural length. (b) What is the speed of the mass when it loses contact from the spring? (c) how far will it travel?

2. Relevant Equations:

F(spring) = -kx
F(k) = U(k)mg
Kinetic Energy = (1/2) mv^2
Potential Energy = (1/2)kx^2

3. So far, I have come up with the equation that

F(net) = F(mass) - ((kx) + (U(K)mg))

However, I could not figure out how to get the force of the mass since I was only given the velocity, and not the acceleration of the mass. I also thought that once the spring is at the most compressed spot, it will have all potential energy, and no kinetic energy. This is how I would solve question (b) if there were no friction. Since there is friction, this is not a conservative force, so I cannot use the K + U = constant equation. I have no idea where to go with this problem :-/

Whilst you are indeed correct that K + U =const. doesn't apply here, you can still use conservation of energy if treat the compression and extension parts of the collision separately.

This does help! Thank you! However, I am stuck again. . .
After seeing that the energy is conserved on the compression and the extension, I thought to make this equation:

K = U + int( F(k) )

I thought that taking the integral of the force of friction would give me the energy that is expended into friction. However, after plugging in the numbers, I came up with

x= .22, -.13

When I use these numbers for part (b) :

U = (1/2)(120)(.22)(.22)
= 2.904

K- int( F(k) ) = U
(1/2)(2)(v^2) = 2.904 + (2*9.8*.3*.22)
v = 2.05 m/s

This does not make any sense because energy is lost in this system to friction, and the velocity that it hits the spring with is smaller than 2.05. I do not know what I have done wrong. Actually, I am not sure if it is mathematically correct to take the integral of Friction to find the energy used in it, but that is how you find potential, so I thought that would work for friction as well.

Your over-complicating the problem by thinking about integration. Since the frictional force isn't a function of position, you can just use the elementary definition of work don by a force (namely the magnitude of the force multiplied by the distance traveled).

just a bump to this thread, wanting to verify:

You set the K.E. and the U(spring) equal to each other i.e.

(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)kx^2

because of the conservation of energy? and this is why you don't need the force?

EDIT: my problem is on a frictionless plane.

bopll said:
just a bump to this thread, wanting to verify:

You set the K.E. and the U(spring) equal to each other i.e.

(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)kx^2

because of the conservation of energy? and this is why you don't need the force?

EDIT: my problem is on a frictionless plane.
Yes, if there are no dissipative forces (e.g. friction) present nor any external forces, then the total energy of the system must remain constant.

1. What is the relationship between mass and spring in a collision?

The relationship between mass and spring in a collision is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that the greater the mass of the object colliding with the spring, the greater the force exerted on the spring, causing a larger displacement.

2. How does the velocity of the mass affect the collision with the spring?

The velocity of the mass has a direct impact on the collision with the spring. This is because the kinetic energy of the mass at the moment of impact is transferred to the spring, causing it to compress and store potential energy. The higher the velocity of the mass, the greater the kinetic energy and therefore, the greater the compression of the spring.

3. What happens to the energy in a mass-spring collision?

In a mass-spring collision, the energy is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. Initially, the mass has kinetic energy due to its motion, while the spring has potential energy due to its displacement. After the collision, the mass loses some of its kinetic energy, which is transferred to the spring as potential energy. Therefore, the total energy remains the same.

4. What factors affect the maximum displacement of the spring in a collision?

There are several factors that affect the maximum displacement of the spring in a collision. These include the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring). In general, a larger mass and higher velocity will result in a greater maximum displacement, while a stiffer spring will have a smaller maximum displacement.

5. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the collision with a given mass?

The stiffness of the spring, also known as the spring constant, plays a crucial role in a collision with a given mass. A stiffer spring will exert a greater force on the mass, resulting in a larger displacement. On the other hand, a less stiff spring will exert a smaller force and therefore, result in a smaller displacement. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, where the spring constant is directly proportional to the force exerted by the spring.