Mass Defect of Hydrogen-2 Electron Binding Energy

In summary, the binding energy of the electron in the ground state of hydrogen-2 is 13.6 eV. To find the corresponding mass defect in amu, you can use the formula: mass defect (amu) = binding energy (eV)/c^2, where c is the speed of light. Using this formula, we can convert the binding energy into MeV/c^2 and then into amu, which gives us a value of 1.32 x 10^9 amu as the mass defect of the hydrogen atom.
rayray2216
Homework Statement :

the binding energy for the electron in the ground state of hydrogen-2 is 13.6ev
what is the corresponding mass defect of the hydrogen atom in amu (atomic mass units)
not sure if you need atmoic mass of the hysgrogen atom its given to be 2.014102u

Relevant equations:

not really sure but i know that nuclear binding energy=Mass defect x c^2
so BE/c^2=Mass deffect

931.58=uc^2

The attempt at a solution:
Havent really got a clue how to start i thought you would just use the above formula but i feel i am wrong :s1 amu = 931.46 MeV/c2 = 0.93146 GeV/c2
1 MeV/c2 = 1.074 × 10–3 amu
Thus 13.6 eV = 13.6 x 10^-6 MeV
=>13.6 eV = 13.6 x 10^-6 x 1.074 x 10^-3 x (3 x 10^8)^2 amu
=>13.6 eV = 1.32 x 10^9 amu

but i feel this is very wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
im desperate can anyone help...point me in the right direction ?

1. What is mass defect in relation to hydrogen-2 electron binding energy?

Mass defect refers to the difference between the actual mass of an atom and the expected mass based on the combined masses of its individual particles. In hydrogen-2, the binding energy of the electron contributes to this mass defect.

2. How is the mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy calculated?

The mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy is calculated by subtracting the combined masses of the proton and electron from the actual mass of the hydrogen-2 atom. This difference is due to the binding energy of the electron.

3. What is the significance of the mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy?

The mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions. It represents the amount of energy required to break the nucleus of a hydrogen-2 atom into its individual particles, and this energy can be released in nuclear fusion reactions.

4. How does the mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2?

Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, explains the relationship between mass and energy. In the case of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy, the mass defect is converted into binding energy, which is released during nuclear reactions according to this equation.

5. Can the mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy be observed in everyday life?

While the mass defect of hydrogen-2 electron binding energy is not something that can be directly observed in everyday life, its effects can be seen in the energy released during nuclear reactions, such as in the sun or in nuclear power plants.