Mass falling while attached to wire

In summary, the largest possible value of h for the wire not to break is approximately 0.23 meters. This is found by using the work-energy principle and relating the change in kinetic energy to the change in potential energy using Young's modulus and the ultimate strength of steel. The assumptions of stress remaining proportional to strain and the wire extending all the way must be taken into consideration.
mbigras

Homework Statement

An object of mass 0.5 kg is hung from the end of a steel wire of length 2 m and of diameter 0.5 mm. (Young's modulus = 2 x 1011 N/m2). The object is lifted through a distance h (thus allowing the wire to become slack) and is then dropped so that the wire receives a sudden jerk. The ultimate strength of steel is 1.1 x 109 N/m2. What is the largest possible value of h if the wire is not to break?

Homework Equations

[tex]stress = \delta = F/A[/tex]
[tex]strain = \epsilon = \Delta l/l_{0}[/tex]
[tex]\delta / \epsilon = Y[/tex]
Average impact force * distance traveled = [tex]\Delta KE[/tex]
ultimate strength = [tex]\delta_{UTS}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I thought that I couldn't relate ultimate strength to distance traveled once the mass starts pulling on the wire using Young's modulus because the relation between stress and strain at that point is no longer linear. Then I saw a rephrasing of this exact question that included the statement "Assume stress remains proportional to strain throughout the motion". However, in my textbook this statement isn't mentioned, which could be why our answers aren't matching.

But assuming that stress does remain proportional to strain, I calculate the distance the mass traveled using Young's modulus. Using the ultimate strength I found the max force. Relating the two with the work-energy principle I was able to find the change in kinetic energy which is the same as the change in the original gravitational potential energy. Knowing how much poential energy it needs tells me h.
[tex]\delta_{UTS} = F/A = 1.1*10^{9} N/m^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta l = \delta_{UTS}*l_{0} / Y = .011 m[/tex]
[tex]F = \delta_{UTS}*A = 215.985 N[/tex]
[tex]F*\Delta l = mgh[/tex]
[tex]h = .48 m[/tex]
This is not the answer the book has which is h = .23 m. Using the work-energy princple seems to me where I might be making some assumptions that aren't realistic. Also the wording "sudden jerk" is throwing me for a loop, maybe assuming the wire stretches all the way isn't realistic. It feels like I'm missing something here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the diameter 0.5 meters, or millimeters?

Regarding your solution, the work-energy principle is good here, but you made a couple of mistakes. First, in ## F \Delta l = mgh ## you assumed that tha force is constant. This is not so, as the force changes with the extension linearly, so ## F ## is not constant. Perhaps you know the formula for potential energy in a spring?

Secondly, in that same formula you assumed that the potential energy due to gravity depends only in ## h ##. But as wire extends, the object gets lower, which decreases its potential energy further.

Likes 1 person
If the wire were a spring with spring constant k so that F = kx, how would you solve for max. F? This problem is entirely analogous so just figure out what k is in terms of the given parameters.

Likes 1 person
Potential energy of a spring! The energy transfer is from gravitational potential energy to spring potential energy.
[tex]x = -\frac{l_{0}*\delta_{UTS}}{Y} = -0.011 m[/tex]
[tex]k = \frac{A*Y}{l_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2} kx^{2}[/tex]
[tex]h≈.24m[/tex]
thank you guys.

Good shot!
EDIT: Voko is right, you need to rethink what h really is. It's a small correction. Otherwise you're spot on.
(Hint: how far does the mass really fall?).

Last edited:
You still have a 1 cm difference with the correct result. Pay attention to the second part of my comment in #2.

Ahh yes. I thought it was just a rounding error but now I see. I forgot to include the negative gravitational potential energy that the mass has once it is stretched all the way. So:
[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} -mgx[/tex]
[tex]h≈.23m[/tex]
with x = 0 at the bottom of the unstretched wire.

Last edited:

1. How does the mass of an object affect its speed while falling while attached to a wire?

The mass of an object does not affect its speed while falling while attached to a wire. According to Galileo's Law of Falling Bodies, all objects will fall at the same rate regardless of their mass.

2. Does the length of the wire affect the speed at which the mass falls?

Yes, the length of the wire can affect the speed at which the mass falls. The longer the wire, the longer the distance the mass has to fall, which can result in a faster speed.

3. How does the tension in the wire affect the speed of the falling mass?

The tension in the wire does not affect the speed of the falling mass. As long as the wire is strong enough to support the weight of the mass, the tension will not have an impact on the speed of the fall.

4. Is air resistance a factor in the speed of a falling mass attached to a wire?

Yes, air resistance can have an impact on the speed of a falling mass attached to a wire. However, the effect of air resistance on the mass is much smaller compared to when the mass is falling freely without any constraints.

5. Can the angle of the wire affect the speed of the falling mass?

Yes, the angle of the wire can affect the speed of the falling mass. The steeper the angle of the wire, the faster the mass will fall due to gravity. However, the difference in speed may be minimal and can be neglected in most cases.