What is the Relationship Between Mass, Gravity, and Attraction in Physics?

In summary: Gravity is the force that attracts objects towards the center of the earth. It is the same force that keeps us on the ground and pulls objects towards the sun.
Ink Monitor
From a Serious Newbie

Have been interested in and fascinated by physics for a number of years now and am a total layman but watch every science/astronomy programme I can and have read a couple of very basic books on the subject, and have now steeled myself to read “A Brief History of Time”. I know this is going to sound very stupid but there is one simple thing I cannot get my head around (perhaps I should have taken up some other subject – maybe not being the type of mind to grasp these things! Knitting perhaps?)

Regarding Newton’s first and second law (second page in of Chapter 2 of Stephen Hawking’s book):

Is mass an object’s weight, density or size, or a combination of all three?
A one ton ball of lead would be smaller than a one ton ball of rock – ignoring air resistance both would fall to the ground at the same rate, and I get that; but what about attraction?
If they were both in space would the rock attract more than the lead because of its bigger size or the lead because of its greater density?

Thanking you in advance, and please excuse my naivety

Physics news on Phys.org
in short:
Mass does not change..it is fixed..
But weight depends on gravitation pull (acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m s-2).

Welcome to PF!

Hi Ink Monitor! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Ink Monitor said:
A one ton ball of lead would be smaller than a one ton ball of rock – ignoring air resistance both would fall to the ground at the same rate, and I get that; but what about attraction?
If they were both in space would the rock attract more than the lead because of its bigger size or the lead because of its greater density?

Two spheres of the same "weight" but of different size and density will exert the same gravitational attraction.

Even a black hole and an ordinary star of the same mass have gravitational fields that are indistinguishable (outside the radius of the star, of course :wink:).

Ink Monitor said:

Mass is the measure of the quantity of matter.

Size (which I assume you mean "Volume") is the measure of the space occupied.

Density is the ratio of the mass with respect to its volume.

Weight is the gravitational force (or attraction) between two objects and its depends on the masses of BOTH objects and on the distance between them. Your mass is the same whether you are on Earth or on the moon, but since the mass of the moon is a lot less than the mass of the earth, your weight (the gravitational force) is less on the moon than on the earth. This gravitational force is felt by both objects, but of course the one with a lower mass will accelerate a lot more under this force and that is why the big mass seems "stationary" with respect to the small mass.

Ink Monitor said:
From a Serious Newbie

Welcome Ink monitor …

Answer 1) The mass of an object is the measure of its "massiveness" hence the term mass. The more the mass means more massive the object is, In easier words the amount of matter contained in a object is called its mass. Although Mass depends on density more the density more the mass, but it is not density as density is mass per unit volume.

Answer 2)The force of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the product of the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of distance between them. So a ton of rock and ton of lead in space both will attract each other with the same amount of force …. as the total amount of mass in both objects is same.

Thank you everyone for your replies, and between them all I think I've got it in my head now(!); and Rajini "acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m s-2" means nothing to me at the moment - but thank you anyway.

Now, where's that "Brief History of Time" sub title 'From the Big Bang to Black Holes' - Ummm, hold on to your hats, as I'm sure there will be more queries!

Hi, why i used g here is..
for e.g., a mass of 10 kg is equivalent to [tex]10\times9.8=98~{\rm N}[/tex] on earth.

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains. It is often measured in kilograms (kg) and is a fundamental property of an object.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. It is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The greater an object's mass, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with more mass will have a greater force of attraction between them compared to objects with less mass.

4. How does the distance between objects affect gravity?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases. This is because the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. This means that the farther apart objects are, the weaker their gravitational pull on each other will be.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull. For example, an object will weigh less on the moon compared to Earth because the moon has less mass and therefore a weaker gravitational pull.