Mass hangs in equilibrium on a spring (oscillation)(MCQ)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mass hanging in equilibrium on a spring and being made to oscillate by pulling it down 10 cm and releasing it. The question is which line, A to D, is correct for these oscillations. The relevant equations are T = t/n, T = 1/f, and a = -w*2 x. The solution is that the time period is 2 seconds, so the correct answer is B.
slymme

Homework Statement

A mass M hangs in equilibrium on a spring. M is made to oscillate about the equilibrium position by pulling it down 10 cm and releasing it. The time for M to travel back to the equilibrium position for the first time is 0.5s. Which line, A to D, is correct for these oscillations?
A) Amplitude(cm) 10 , Period(s) 1.0
B) Amplitude(cm) 10 , Period(s) 2.0
C) Amplitude(cm) 20, Period(s) 2.0
D) Amplitude(cm) 20, Period(s) 1.0

Homework Equations

I attempted to solve this without the use of equations, but I guess these could be relevant:
T = t/n
T = 1/f
a = -w*2 x

The Attempt at a Solution

I may have solved the problem without actually knowing it, but its good to make sure. My first guess is when I read "by pulling it down 10 cm and releasing it". I guessed this to be the amplitude since it was released from the extreme position (or atleast I think so), so that leaves me with anwser A or B. Since M was released from the extreme position, It means it would take it 2x0.5 seconds to get back and give us the time period.Therefore, I went for answer A.
Some confirmation would be great. Forgive me if I may have made some mistakes posting this or related - this is my first post on this site :)

Physics news on Phys.org
slymme said:

Homework Statement

A mass M hangs in equilibrium on a spring. M is made to oscillate about the equilibrium position by pulling it down 10 cm and releasing it. The time for M to travel back to the equilibrium position for the first time is 0.5s. Which line, A to D, is correct for these oscillations?
A) Amplitude(cm) 10 , Period(s) 1.0
B) Amplitude(cm) 10 , Period(s) 2.0
C) Amplitude(cm) 20, Period(s) 2.0
D) Amplitude(cm) 20, Period(s) 1.0

Homework Equations

I attempted to solve this without the use of equations, but I guess these could be relevant:
T = t/n
T = 1/f
a = -w*2 x

The Attempt at a Solution

I may have solved the problem without actually knowing it, but its good to make sure. My first guess is when I read "by pulling it down 10 cm and releasing it". I guessed this to be the amplitude since it was released from the extreme position (or atleast I think so), so that leaves me with anwser A or B. Since M was released from the extreme position, It means it would take it 2x0.5 seconds to get back and give us the time period.Therefore, I went for answer A.
Some confirmation would be great. Forgive me if I may have made some mistakes posting this or related - this is my first post on this site :)
0.5 s is needed to get to the equilibrium position from one of the extreme positions. But there are two extremes during one period. How much time is needed to go from one extreme to the opposite extreme?

ehild said:
0.5 s is needed to get to the equilibrium position from one of the extreme positions. But there are two extremes during one period. How much time is needed to go from one extreme to the opposite extreme?
1 second? so does that mean the time period is 2 seconds and thus the answer being B?

slymme said:
1 second? so does that mean the time period is 2 seconds and thus the answer being B?
Yes

Likes slymme
ehild said:
Yes
I thank you good sir!

You are welcome:oldsmile:

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in relation to a mass hanging on a spring?

Equilibrium in this context refers to the state where the forces acting on the mass are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. This means that the mass will remain stationary or move at a constant velocity.

2. How does the mass hanging on a spring oscillate?

The mass hanging on a spring oscillates because of the restoring force of the spring. When the mass is pulled from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, causing the mass to oscillate back and forth until it reaches equilibrium again.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation for a mass hanging on a spring?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the gravitational pull. A heavier mass or stiffer spring will result in a lower frequency, while a larger gravitational pull will increase the frequency.

4. What is the relationship between the amplitude and the energy of a mass hanging on a spring in equilibrium?

The amplitude, or maximum displacement, of the mass hanging on a spring is directly proportional to the energy of the system. This means that a larger amplitude will result in a higher energy and vice versa.

5. How does the displacement of the mass on a spring change as it oscillates?

The displacement of the mass on a spring changes sinusoidally as it oscillates. This means that it follows a smooth, repetitive pattern where the displacement increases and decreases in a symmetrical manner over time.