How Many Copper Atoms Are in a Cubic Centimeter?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving the mass and density of copper and determining the number of atoms in a specific volume. The speaker also mentions a discrepancy in their answer and asks for help.
farhana21
Can someone please help me on this physics question

The mass of a copper atom is 2.50 10-25 kg, and the density of copper is 8 920 kg/m3 .

(a) Determine the number of atoms in 1 cm3 of copper.

(b) Visualize the one cubic centimeter as formed by stacking up identical cubes, with one copper atom at the center of each. Determine the volume of each cube.

(c) Find the edge dimension of each cube, which represents an estimate for the spacing between atoms.

For part (a) i got 8.72 * 10^21 however my answers differs from the correct answer by more than 10%

Please could someone help me on this question.

It's much appreciated

Thanks to anyone and everyone who responds to this (in advance)

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a) i got 8.72 * 10^21 however my answers differs from the correct answer by more than 10%
What did you try?
Did you remember to convert the volume to m^3 (or density into kg/cm^3)?

1. What is the mass of a copper atom?

The mass of a copper atom is approximately 63.55 atomic mass units (amu).

2. How is the mass of a copper atom calculated?

The mass of a copper atom is calculated by adding the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. Copper has 29 protons and an average of 35 neutrons, so the mass would be 29 + 35 = 64 amu.

3. How does the mass of a copper atom compare to other elements?

The mass of a copper atom is relatively high compared to other elements. It falls in the middle range of the periodic table, with lighter elements having lower masses and heavier elements having higher masses.

4. Can the mass of a copper atom change?

The mass of a copper atom can change through a process called nuclear fusion or nuclear fission. In nuclear fusion, two or more atoms combine to form a heavier atom, while in nuclear fission, an atom splits into smaller atoms. These processes can change the number of protons and neutrons in the atom, thus changing its mass.

5. How is the mass of a copper atom measured?

The mass of a copper atom is measured using a device called a mass spectrometer. This instrument separates atoms based on their mass-to-charge ratio and gives an accurate measurement of the mass of a single atom. Mass spectrometers are commonly used in scientific research and analytical chemistry.