What is the force of friction on a 50 gram coin on a turntable?

In summary, the content discusses a problem involving a 50 gram coin on a horizontal turntable. The coin, located 10 cm from the center, makes 1 revolution every 1.8 seconds without slipping. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 1 and 0.5, respectively. The question asks for the size of the force of friction on the coin. Using the equation F = ma, the solution is found by first finding the tangential velocity, v = 2piR/T, which is then used to calculate the force of friction, F = m(v^2/R). The answer is 60.9 mN.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A 50 gram coin is on a horz. turntable. it rides without slipping making 1 revolution every 1.8 seconds. it is 10 cm from the center. the coefficient of static are 1 and the coefficient of kinetic is 0.5.

the size of the force of friction on the coin is

Homework Equations

F = ma

mu_s = F/N

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think i have to use either static or kinetic coefficients for this problem but i may be wrong.

anyways i did

F = ma

F = m(v2/R)

v = 1rev/1.8s (2pi rad / 1rev)
v = 3.49 rad/s

F = .05kg(3.49^2)/(.1m)

F = 6.09 N

The answer is 60.9 mN so it just seems like i am off a few decimal places but i can't seem to find out where i went wrong or if this is even the right way to approach the problem.

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:
F = m(v2/R)

v = 1rev/1.8s (2pi rad / 1rev)
v = 3.49 rad/s
That 'v' should be the tangential velocity--you found the angular velocity, ω.

How would you find the tangential velocity of the coin?

Thank you :)

tangential velocity is v = 2piR / T

v = .349

F = .05kg (.349^2 / .1)

F = .0609 N or 60.9 mN

1. What is the relationship between mass and force on a turntable?

The relationship between mass and force on a turntable is that, as the mass of an object on a turntable increases, the force required to keep it at a constant speed also increases. This is because an increase in mass results in an increase in inertia, making it more difficult to accelerate or maintain a constant speed.

2. How does the force on a mass on a turntable change with the speed of rotation?

The force on a mass on a turntable is directly proportional to the speed of rotation. This means that as the speed of rotation increases, the force required to maintain the object's position on the turntable also increases. Similarly, as the speed of rotation decreases, the force required decreases as well.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in keeping a mass on a turntable?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular motion and keeps an object moving in a curved path. In the case of a mass on a turntable, centripetal force is responsible for keeping the object from flying off the turntable due to its inertia and the centrifugal force acting in the opposite direction.

4. Does the mass of the turntable itself affect the force on a mass placed on it?

Yes, the mass of the turntable does affect the force on a mass placed on it. This is because the turntable also has its own inertia and requires a certain amount of force to maintain its own rotation. This additional force must be taken into account when calculating the total force on the mass on the turntable.

5. Can the direction of the force on a mass on a turntable change?

Yes, the direction of the force on a mass on a turntable can change. As the turntable rotates, the direction of the force acting on the mass also changes since it is constantly changing its direction of motion. This force always acts towards the center of the turntable and is known as centripetal force.