How Does Acceleration Affect Motion on an Inclined Wedge?

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration of a block of mass m on a 45 degree wedge that is being pushed with constant acceleration A. The resulting acceleration of the block can be found by adding the vectorial components of A and gsin45, giving a resultant acceleration of A + gsin45. However, the correct answer will depend on the direction of the force relative to the orientation of the wedge. If A = 3g, the acceleration will be g√2, but if A = g, the acceleration will be g.
Fermat
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A 45 degree wedge is pushed along a table with constant acceleration A. A block of mass m slides without friction on the wedge. Find its acceleration (gravity is downwards),

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered the above question on another forum, but got the wrong answer, apparently. Here's my working. Where did I go worng?

Suppose that the wedge is stationary. Then the accelerating force, down the slope, is mgsin45. So the acceleration of the small mass, down the slope, is gsin45.

If the wedge is now moving with a (constant) accln of A, then that accln can be added vectorially to the "static" accln of the small mass.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1896/wedge1ub9.th.jpg

a is the resultant accln of the two component acclns, and (vectorially), a = A + gsin45.

Your question isn't clear in which direction the force is acting wrt to the orientation of the wedge. The force could be in the same direction as the wedge is pointing, or in the opposite direction, in which case the vector diagram is like this,

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/299/wedge2pc6.th.jpg

If you wish to evaluate the accln, then use the cosine rule.

a² = A² + (gsin45)² - 2A.gsin45.cos(45 or 135)

Now, the OP told me that if A = 3g, then the answer is g. But I can't see how that answer is got. Can someone explain

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
see when the mass slides down , the diagonal component of it weight is [tex]mg sin(\theta)[/tex] whereas the pseudo force component acting diagonally up is [tex]mAcos(\theta)[/tex].
even then if u put a=3g , then the answer is [tex]-g\sqrt{2}[/tex].

one more thing if by any chance the acc is greater than g , the block tends to move upwards rather than downwards , because it actually stops when a=g . please feel free to point out errors if i made any in saying this . so as far as i know the answer can be anything but positive . but if u r only talking about the magnitude then ... can u at least post a pic of the prob , in case i made a mistake in understanding the question ...

Thanks for the reply, metalInferno.
I don't know what the actual digram may have looked like - I only got the question text - but I imagine that the two options may have looked like the below.

Wedge moving to the left
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2241/wedgetotheleftxw3.th.jpg

Wedge moving to the right
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3333/wedgetotherightbo2.th.jpg

If A = 3g, then the acceln, along the slope is,as you say, of magnitude [itex]g\sqrt{2}[/itex]. But the small mass still has an acceln component perpindicular to the slope's surface, which gives it a resultant accln, relative to the ground along which the wedge is moving.

I assumed that this was the acceleration being looked for - one that was relative to the ground. But whether relative to the slope's surface or to the ground, I still can't see how an accln of g (for A = 3g) comes about ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go into an accelerated frame, accelerating with A in the horizontal direction with respect to an inertial frame with non-rotated coordinate axes with respect to the accelerated frame..

Let us set up the relations between unit vectors, with i being unit vector in horizontal direction, j in vertical direction, n in normal direction, and t in tangential dirction:
[tex]\vec{t}=\cos\theta\vec{i}-\sin\theta\vec{j},\vec{n}=\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j}[/tex]
Or, alternatively:
[tex]\vec{i}=\cos\theta\vec{t}+\sin\theta\vec{n},\vec{j}=-\sin\theta\vec{t}+\cos\theta\vec{n}[/tex]
Thus, in the accelerated frame, we have:
[tex]-mA\vec{i}-mg\vec{j}+\vec{N}=m\vec{a}_{rel}[/tex]
Now, [tex]\vec{a}_{rel}[/tex] is strictly tangential, and our component force equation is then:
[tex]-mA\cos\theta+mg\sin\theta=ma_{rel}[/tex],
[tex]a_{rel}=g\sin\theta-A\cos\theta[/tex]

Thus, its absolute acceleration is:
[tex]\vec{a}=A\vec{i}+a_{rel}\vec{t}=A\sin\theta\vec{n}+g\sin\theta\vec{t}[/tex]
whereby the acceleration a is given as:
[tex]a=\sqrt{A^{2}+g^{2}}\sin\theta[/tex]
Note that in the special cases theta=0 and theta=90 deg, in the first, the frictionless block just slides under the now stationary mass, whereas in the 90 deg case, the mass experiences free fall downwards and A acceleration horizontally.

At A=3g, we have that [tex]a=\sqrt{5}g[/tex], so neither OP or you other two are correct.

When A=g, with theta=45, then its acceleration is evidently A, that is g, which we see from my formula.

Last edited:
So, my OP had a wrong answer in his book, looks like. Thanks for confirming that.

Related to How Does Acceleration Affect Motion on an Inclined Wedge?

What is a mass on an accelerating wedge?

A mass on an accelerating wedge refers to a system where a block of mass is placed on a wedge that is accelerating. This setup is commonly used to study the effects of forces and motion on objects.

How does the acceleration of the wedge affect the mass?

The acceleration of the wedge has a direct effect on the acceleration of the mass. As the wedge accelerates, it creates a component of acceleration on the mass in the direction of the incline. This results in the mass moving along the wedge with a certain acceleration.

What forces are acting on the mass on an accelerating wedge?

There are two main forces acting on the mass on an accelerating wedge: the weight of the mass and the normal force from the wedge. The weight of the mass pulls it downwards while the normal force from the wedge balances it out by pushing upwards.

How does the angle of the wedge affect the motion of the mass?

The angle of the wedge has a significant impact on the motion of the mass. A larger angle results in a steeper incline, which increases the component of acceleration on the mass in the direction of the incline. This leads to a faster acceleration of the mass.

What factors can affect the motion of the mass on an accelerating wedge?

The motion of the mass on an accelerating wedge can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the block, the angle of the wedge, the acceleration of the wedge, and the presence of any external forces. Friction between the mass and the wedge can also affect the motion by reducing the acceleration of the mass.