Find Block's Acceleration w/ 45 Degree Wedge & Constant A

In summary, the problem involves a 45 degree wedge being pushed with constant acceleration A along a table while a block slides without friction on the wedge. The goal is to find the block's acceleration, given gravitational force acting downwards. The constraint equation is used to find the acceleration in the y direction, but it leads to a division by zero if the tangent of theta is not included in the normal force equation. Ultimately, solving for the y acceleration leads to a contradiction. The issue may lie in considering inertial reference frames and further clarification is needed.
Radarithm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 45 degree wedge is pushed along a table with constant acceleration A. A block of mass m slides without friction on the wedge. Find the block's acceleration. Gravity is directed down.

Homework Equations

Constraint Equation:
[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{\ddot{y}}{\ddot{x}-\ddot{X}}[/tex]

Equations (p is for parallel and p2 is for perpendicular, eg. x and y directions):

[tex]F_{pb}=N\sin{\theta}=m\ddot{x}[/tex]
[tex]F_{p^2b}=N\cos{\theta}-mg=m\ddot{y}[/tex]
[tex]F_{pw}=F-N'\sin{\theta}=MA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It's embarrassing how this problem seems difficult for me; I'm probably making some fundamental error somewhere.

Newton's 3rd Law: [itex]N=N'[/itex]
[tex]N=\frac{m\ddot{x}}{\sin{\theta}}=\frac{m(g+\ddot{y})}{\cos{\theta}}[/tex]

Because the angle is 45 degrees, the tangent of theta is just 1. Solving for the x acceleration, we get:
[tex]\ddot{x}=(g+\ddot{y})[/tex]

Now, according to the constraint equation, the acceleration in the y direction is equal to the tangent of theta times the x acceleration of the block minus the x acceleration of the wedge itself. Following the constraint equation, I get:
[tex]\ddot{y}=(g+\ddot{y})-A[/tex]

(tangent of 45 is 1). There is no way to solve for the y acceleration here. If, back when I solved for the normal force, I included the tangent of theta, I would've been able to solve for the acceleration but I would have to divide by zero, which means there is no y acceleration. The hint, however, states otherwise: If A = 3g then the y acceleration is g. Where am I going wrong? I'm going to try and solve for the y acceleration instead of the x acceleration first and see where that takes me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've reached a rather strange conclusion; I solved for the y acceleration in from the normal force equation (2 of them):
[tex]\frac{m\ddot{x}}{\cos{\theta}}=\frac{m(g+\ddot{y})}{\sin{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{y}=\ddot{x}-g[/tex]

From the constraint equation:
[tex](\ddot{x}-\ddot{X})\tan{\theta}=\ddot{y}=\ddot{x}-g[/tex]

Solving for x, we get:
[tex]\ddot{x}=\frac{-\ddot{X}\tan{\theta}}{(1-\tan{\theta})}-g[/tex]

If A is 3g, then the y acceleration must be g; this equation shows that, but it is for the x direction. When I plug it into the y equation, things don't make any sense.

I feel like I'm making a mistake that deals with inertial reference frames; bump?

Related to Find Block's Acceleration w/ 45 Degree Wedge & Constant A

What is the purpose of finding Block's Acceleration with a 45 degree wedge and constant acceleration?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the acceleration of a block moving down a 45 degree wedge with constant acceleration. This can be used to study the relationship between angle and acceleration, as well as the effects of a constant force on an object's motion.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a 45 degree wedge, a block, a ruler or measuring tape, a stopwatch, and a surface with low friction to allow the block to slide down the wedge smoothly.

What steps should be followed to find Block's Acceleration?

The following steps should be followed to find Block's Acceleration:

1. Set up the 45 degree wedge on a flat surface.
  2. Place the block at the top of the wedge and record its initial position.
  3. Start the stopwatch and release the block, allowing it to slide down the wedge.
  4. Stop the stopwatch when the block reaches the bottom of the wedge and record its final position.
  5. Calculate the displacement of the block by subtracting the initial position from the final position.
  6. Calculate the time it took for the block to slide down the wedge.
  7. Use the equations of motion to calculate the acceleration of the block.

What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include air resistance, friction on the surface, and human error in timing. It is important to try to minimize these sources of error by conducting the experiment multiple times and taking the average of the results.

How can the results of this experiment be applied in real life?

The results of this experiment can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. The relationship between angle and acceleration can be used to design structures or machines that require a specific acceleration. It can also be used to analyze the motion of objects in sports such as skiing or skateboarding, where a 45 degree angle is often present.