Mastering Integrals: Solving Tricky Equations with x and Quotient Rule

• Thread starter zombieguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation was about integrating two expressions, x/(x^2+x-6) and 4/(x^2+4x+4). The person attempted to use the quotient rule for integrals but was advised to use partial fractions instead. They were able to successfully integrate the first expression but struggled with the second one. They were given guidance on how to integrate using substitution and the power law integral.
zombieguy

Homework Statement

How do I do these 2?

a) x/(x^2+x-6)

b) 4/(x^2+4x+4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Tried quotient rule it gave me -x^2 - 6/(x^2+x+6)^2, I don't think it's right

b) Tried substitution (because there's another similar question between these two on the paper and that was the way to go for it) Don't think my answers worth mentioning

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no 'quotient rule' for integrals! Try partial fractions.

Factor first the denominator then use the partial fractions.

Ok, Thanks

I've now got:

a) 3/5ln(x+3)+2/5ln(x-2)

b) 2/(x+2)ln(x+2)^2

Is that right?

Part b is not correct. After factoring you have
[tex]\int \frac{4}{(x + 2)^2}~dx[/tex]

You can do this with an ordinary substitution. Your answer should NOT have a log in it!

If you mean (3/5)ln(x+3)+(2/5)ln(x-2), (use more parentheses!) then the first one looks ok. I don't like the looks of the second one. If you had shown your work, I might have been able to tell you where you went wrong.

Last edited:
OK, I've tried b) again but this time by using:

u.v-(integral of)(v.du/dx)

u=4
du/dx=0 (That gets rid of the integral part)

v=-(x+2)^-1
dv/dx= (x+2)^-2

so: 4.-(x+2)^-1

It would be nice if you could show me how to do it your way (using substitution) aswel

Let u=(x+2). du=dx. Then 4/(x+2)^2 dx=4/u^2 du=4*u^(-2) du. Use the power law integral u^n=u^(n+1)/(n+1).

Thank you all for your help

Related to Mastering Integrals: Solving Tricky Equations with x and Quotient Rule

1. How do I know when to use the quotient rule in integration?

The quotient rule is used when you have a function that is a ratio of two other functions. In other words, if your integrand (the function being integrated) can be written as f(x)/g(x), where f(x) and g(x) are both functions of x, then you should use the quotient rule.

2. Can the quotient rule be used for all types of integrals?

No, the quotient rule is specifically used for integrating functions that are in the form of a ratio. It cannot be used for other types of integrals, such as trigonometric functions or exponential functions.

3. What is the general process for using the quotient rule in integration?

The general process for using the quotient rule is as follows:

1. Identify the numerator and denominator functions in your integrand.
  2. Apply the quotient rule formula: ∫f(x)/g(x)dx = ∫[f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)]/g(x)^2 dx
  3. Integrate the individual terms in the numerator using any appropriate integration techniques (such as u-substitution or integration by parts).
  4. Simplify the resulting expression as much as possible.

4. Can the quotient rule be combined with other integration techniques?

Yes, the quotient rule can be combined with other integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to solve more complex integrals.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the quotient rule in integration?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the quotient rule and instead attempting to use other integration techniques, such as the power rule. Another mistake is not simplifying the resulting expression after integrating the individual terms in the numerator.