Mastering the Global Stiffness Matrix for Planar Trusses: Tips and Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses available resources for help with forming the Global Stiffness Matrix for a planar truss. While some online sources have not been helpful, the book "A First Course in the Finite Element Method" by Logan is recommended for its clear description and worked examples. Another option is Moaveni's book on FEA, which has examples specifically for using ANSYS.
Freyster98
I am having trouble forming the Global Stiffness Matrix for a planar truss. Does anyone know of any good online resources to help me with this? I've found a few, but haven't been much help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of any online sources, but the FEA class I'm taking uses a book called "A First Course in the Finite Element Method" by Logan. It contains an excellent description of the plane truss problem with worked examples.

I agree with Brian C...Logan's book is a superb introduction to FEA and has the plane truss problem.

If you want to use ANSYS to solve the problem, I believe Moaveni's book on the FEA has one or two examples. I used Moaveni's book for my FEA class and while it's not great to learn from, it's pretty decent as a walkthru for ANSYS.

What is a Global Stiffness Matrix?

A Global Stiffness Matrix is a mathematical representation of the stiffness properties of a physical system. It is used in structural analysis to determine the overall stiffness of a structure.

How is a Global Stiffness Matrix calculated?

A Global Stiffness Matrix is calculated by assembling the stiffness matrices of individual elements within a structure. The individual element stiffness matrices are then combined using the principle of superposition to create the overall stiffness matrix.

What is the significance of the Global Stiffness Matrix?

The Global Stiffness Matrix is significant because it provides a complete representation of the stiffness properties of a structure. This information is essential in analyzing the structural response to external loads and making design decisions.

How is the Global Stiffness Matrix used in structural analysis?

The Global Stiffness Matrix is used in structural analysis to solve for the displacements and forces within a structure. It is an essential tool in finite element analysis, which is commonly used in engineering and design.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Global Stiffness Matrix?

The accuracy of the Global Stiffness Matrix can be affected by various factors, including the complexity of the structure, the accuracy of the element stiffness matrices, and the precision of the numerical methods used in the analysis. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure the accuracy of the results.