Material Selection: Thin Flexible Metal Rod for 6K Cycle

In summary, the person is looking for a thin flexible metal rod that can bend 45 degrees per side for 6,000 cycles without breaking. They have tried using a 0.7 mm galvanized steel rod but it did not meet the required cycle count. They are looking for a material that is both ductile and malleable, and can withstand tension and compression. Gold and silver are the most ductile and malleable metals, but stainless steel or iron may also be suitable options. The person ended up using a goose neck for their project.
Robertcamping
I am trying to find a thin flexible metal rod that does not have a spring back property and be able to bend 45 deg. per side for 6K cycle. I tried 0.7 mm galvanized steel rod but not getting the cycle needed. Think of paper clip that and be bend 6K times without breaking. Once bend to a shape, it stays put. Can anyone recommend me a material that will meet that requirement.

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Flexible" is a broad term covering both maleable and and spring metals. Since you want it to stay put, you're looking for something that's ductile, capable of being deformed (tension) plastically without fracture, and maleable, capable of being deformed (compression) plastically without fracture. Since you specified a rod, it will be undergoing both tension and compression during it's 6k cycles.

Ductility and maleability are not synonomous, and some materials are good in one but poor in the other. Gold is both the most ductile and maleable of all metals, followed by silver.

I'd go for the gold! It's a pretty good conductor, too. If cost is an issue, try iron, nickel, or tin (pure forms, not the alloys).

mugaliens said:
"Flexible" is a broad term covering both maleable and and spring metals. Since you want it to stay put, you're looking for something that's ductile, capable of being deformed (tension) plastically without fracture, and maleable, capable of being deformed (compression) plastically without fracture. Since you specified a rod, it will be undergoing both tension and compression during it's 6k cycles.

Ductility and maleability are not synonomous, and some materials are good in one but poor in the other. Gold is both the most ductile and maleable of all metals, followed by silver.

I'd go for the gold! It's a pretty good conductor, too. If cost is an issue, try iron, nickel, or tin (pure forms, not the alloys).

Thanks for the suggesting. It makes sense. I tried using pure Copper, and Tin. It only lasted around 1K cycle. I decided to use a goose neck which is less stress on the metal which turned out OK.

I'd suggest trying a 300 series stainless steel.

What are the key factors to consider when selecting a thin flexible metal rod for a 6K cycle?

When selecting a thin flexible metal rod for a 6K cycle, there are several key factors to consider. These include the material properties, such as tensile strength and fatigue resistance, as well as the size and shape of the rod. Additionally, the intended use and environment of the rod, as well as any budget constraints, should also be taken into account.

What types of materials are commonly used for thin flexible metal rods?

There are several types of materials that are commonly used for thin flexible metal rods, including stainless steel, titanium, and aluminum. Each of these materials has its own unique properties and advantages, and the choice will ultimately depend on the specific requirements of the project.

How does tensile strength affect the performance of a thin flexible metal rod?

Tensile strength is a key factor in the performance of a thin flexible metal rod. This is because the rod will experience stress and strain during the 6K cycle, and a higher tensile strength will allow it to withstand these forces without breaking or deforming. It is important to select a material with a high enough tensile strength to endure the intended use.

What is the role of fatigue resistance in material selection for thin flexible metal rods?

Fatigue resistance is another important consideration when selecting a material for a thin flexible metal rod. This refers to the ability of the rod to withstand repeated cycles of stress and strain without breaking or deforming. A material with high fatigue resistance will be able to endure the 6K cycle without experiencing significant damage or failure.

Are there any other factors to consider when selecting a thin flexible metal rod for a 6K cycle?

In addition to material properties, size, and intended use, there are a few other factors that should be considered when selecting a thin flexible metal rod for a 6K cycle. These include the manufacturing process and any potential surface treatments or coatings that may be necessary to improve the rod's performance and durability. It is also important to consider the rod's compatibility with other components and potential weight or space limitations.