Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Were all galaxies quasars when they were young?

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    My understanding is that quasars are galaxies that are billions of light years away. Thus we see them as they were billions of years ago when they were much younger than our own galaxy & other galaxies nearby to us.
    The immense energy they emit is generated by matter falling into the central black hole that all galaxies have. So they have active centres.
    I assume as galaxies age then the black hole at the centre runs out of matter nearby to gobble up, with only the occasional passing objects such as stars randonly perturbed in that direction. I believe that our galaxy have reached this stage.
    Is it likely that all galaxies including our own were quasars when they were younger ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not all galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their centers. M33, the second-closest spiral, does not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook