Plastic or Foil: Which is Better for Wrapping Fish?

• Thread starter Humayra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discusses the best material to keep fish fresh for a longer period of time. It is suggested that neither plastic nor aluminium foil is effective, but rather fish should be preserved in salted ice and kept in thermocol boxes. Wrapping fish in cold, moist air is also recommended. Additionally, a reference is made to a TV show episode about fish.
Humayra
what is the best material to keep the fish fresh, longer, plastic or aluminium foil?

Physics news on Phys.org
Humayra said:
what is the best material to keep the fish fresh, longer, plastic or aluminium foil?
Have you done any research on this? What have you found out?

Humayra said:
Ice.
Neither of the above do much.

Likes davenn and OmCheeto
As @Tom.G has stated, fish is preserved in salted ice. The system can be kept in thermocol boxes so as to reduce entry of heat from outside. That's what I have seen most of the time. Mostly, even no thermocol is used.

I had a friend years ago who called the local newspaper "the Springfield Fishwrap."

Humayra said:

Neither. I wrap mine in very cold, moist air.

Zz.

Is this the time to recommend the Two and Half Men episode "Fish In A Drawer"?

1. What is the best material to wrap fish for cooking?

The best material to wrap fish for cooking is parchment paper. It is non-stick, allows for even cooking, and keeps the fish moist.

2. Can I use aluminum foil to wrap fish?

Yes, you can use aluminum foil to wrap fish for cooking. However, be sure to lightly oil the foil before placing the fish on it to prevent sticking.

3. Is it safe to wrap fish in plastic wrap?

While it is possible to wrap fish in plastic wrap for cooking, it is not recommended. Plastic wrap can melt or release harmful chemicals when exposed to high heat. It is best to use alternatives such as parchment paper or aluminum foil.

4. Should I wrap fish tightly or loosely?

It is best to wrap fish loosely to allow for air circulation and even cooking. Tight wrapping can trap steam and cause the fish to become mushy.

5. Can I reuse the material used to wrap fish?

If using parchment paper or aluminum foil, it is possible to reuse them as long as they are not damaged or soiled. However, it is recommended to use fresh materials for each cooking session for food safety and best results.