1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Question

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    Ok. K this equation I am suppose to make has to variables
    The magnitude is increasing at a certain rate. It is a pattern. I need to find an equation for this pattern

Say we have:

r^0
    r^1
    r^3
    r^6
    r^10

Ok. As you can see, the added magnitude is increasing by 1 everytime. I need to create this equation where the magnitude is a variable. So it could be like r^n+1 or something like that. Lol. Plz help asap.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The exponents fit the form, [tex]\sum _1 \^{n} \(n-1) [/tex]

[in case the typesetting did not work, I said, summation from 1 to n, of (n-1)]

4. Apr 10, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

.....in fact, the typesetting did NOT work; I will try studying other messages for anything doing what I tried.

Let me try again now:

[tex] \sum_1^n \((n-1) [/tex] If that does not work, then check my description in previous message.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Apr 11, 2007 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This also might not work well because I'm still trying to learn the typesetting, but any k term would be :

[tex]{r}^{\frac{k(k-1)}{2}[/tex]
    ... or in simple text form,
    r^(k(k-1)/2)

Check an intermediate algebra book for how the expression formula was developed.

6. Apr 11, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "tutorial" section is for just that- tutorials showing people how to do things. Questions should be posted in the "Homework" section. I am moving this thread to that section.

Your exponents are "triangular" numbers: n(n+1)/2. The form you want is just what symbolipoint said in his last post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?