Finding the Equation for an Increasing Magnitude Pattern

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation for a pattern in which the magnitude is increasing at a certain rate and the added magnitude follows the form of triangular numbers. The equation is represented by r^(k(k-1)/2) and can be found in an intermediate algebra book. The thread was also moved from the "Tutorial" section to the "Homework" section.
darthchocobo
Ok. K this equation I am suppose to make has to variables
The magnitude is increasing at a certain rate. It is a pattern. I need to find an equation for this pattern

Say we have:

r^0
r^1
r^3
r^6
r^10

Ok. As you can see, the added magnitude is increasing by 1 everytime. I need to create this equation where the magnitude is a variable. So it could be like r^n+1 or something like that. Lol. Plz help asap.

Physics news on Phys.org
The exponents fit the form, [tex]\sum _1 \^{n} \(n-1) [/tex]

[in case the typesetting did not work, I said, summation from 1 to n, of (n-1)]

...in fact, the typesetting did NOT work; I will try studying other messages for anything doing what I tried.

Let me try again now:

[tex] \sum_1^n \((n-1) [/tex] If that does not work, then check my description in previous message.

Last edited:
This also might not work well because I'm still trying to learn the typesetting, but any k term would be :

[tex]{r}^{\frac{k(k-1)}{2}[/tex]
... or in simple text form,
r^(k(k-1)/2)

Check an intermediate algebra book for how the expression formula was developed.

The "tutorial" section is for just that- tutorials showing people how to do things. Questions should be posted in the "Homework" section. I am moving this thread to that section.

Your exponents are "triangular" numbers: n(n+1)/2. The form you want is just what symbolipoint said in his last post.

1. What is an increasing magnitude pattern?

An increasing magnitude pattern is a sequence or set of numbers where the values increase in size or magnitude as the pattern progresses. For example, the pattern 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 is an increasing magnitude pattern.

2. Why is it important to find the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern?

Finding the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern allows us to predict and extend the pattern, as well as understand the relationship between the numbers in the pattern. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, science, and finance.

3. What are the steps to finding the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern?

The steps to finding the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern are:
1. Identify the pattern
2. Determine the starting value (constant)
3. Find the common difference (the number that is added to each term to get the next term)
4. Write the equation using the starting value and common difference
5. Test the equation by plugging in different values and checking if it follows the pattern.

4. Can the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern be used to find any term in the pattern?

Yes, the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern can be used to find any term in the pattern as long as the pattern follows a consistent rule and there is no change in the pattern.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the equation for an increasing magnitude pattern?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the slope-intercept form of a linear equation, using the difference table method, or using the recursive formula. However, the steps to finding the equation may vary depending on the method used.