Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Math Question

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    Ok. K this equation I am suppose to make has to variables
    The magnitude is increasing at a certain rate. It is a pattern. I need to find an equation for this pattern

Say we have:

r^0
    r^1
    r^3
    r^6
    r^10

Ok. As you can see, the added magnitude is increasing by 1 everytime. I need to create this equation where the magnitude is a variable. So it could be like r^n+1 or something like that. Lol. Plz help asap.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The exponents fit the form, [tex]\sum _1 \^{n} \(n-1) [/tex]

[in case the typesetting did not work, I said, summation from 1 to n, of (n-1)]

4. Apr 10, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

.....in fact, the typesetting did NOT work; I will try studying other messages for anything doing what I tried.

Let me try again now:

[tex] \sum_1^n \((n-1) [/tex] If that does not work, then check my description in previous message.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Apr 11, 2007 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This also might not work well because I'm still trying to learn the typesetting, but any k term would be :

[tex]{r}^{\frac{k(k-1)}{2}[/tex]
    ... or in simple text form,
    r^(k(k-1)/2)

Check an intermediate algebra book for how the expression formula was developed.

6. Apr 11, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The "tutorial" section is for just that- tutorials showing people how to do things. Questions should be posted in the "Homework" section. I am moving this thread to that section.

Your exponents are "triangular" numbers: n(n+1)/2. The form you want is just what symbolipoint said in his last post.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook