Math recommended to study physics

In summary, you should have a good grasp of calculus and coordinate geometry to get started studying physics.
Physics news on Phys.org
From the preface to the first edition of K&K:
Our book is written primarily for students who come to the course knowing some calculus, enough to differentiate and integrate simple functions.
I don't have Purcell, but from the very first Amazon user review, written by a frequent poster here on PF, who teaches at the college level:
Although the necessary tools of vector calculus are introduced from scratch, I doubt that most students would be able to get up to speed unless they had already had vector calculus or were at least taking it concurrently.

Likes Student100 and Franco_Carr14
You may find this useful: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html

It's a site made by Nobel Prize in Physics laureate Gerard 't Hooft to help people self study physics, and it contains lots of links. For your case it also has a discussion of the relevant mathematics you should know.

Generally speaking to get started you need a good grasp of the computational aspects of single variable calculus and relevant coordinate geometry, and ideally familiarity with infinite series, basic matrix algebra, and complex numbers.

The topics in the Schaum's Outline of Advanced Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers are a decent indicator of the topics commonly encountered from a pretty basic level to an intermediate-advanced undergraduate level.

Likes Franco_Carr14
K&K is a good book. If you want the full benefit of all the little insightful nuggets a working knowledge of a typical calculus 1&2 series (Taylor series) will be satisfactory. Less is certainly doable though. That said, I wouldn't advocate it to someone who's never seen physics at all before or has difficulty applying math to physical problems. In that case, online resources are probably the best place to start self-study. A R&H&C 4th edition can also be had for like 20 bucks, and is another good place to start, if you prefer paper format and don't want to print online texts. This is all assuming you've never seen physics before.

Purcell is also a good book, and like jtbell mentions requires some study in vector calculus to glean the most from it.

Another good thing is the price point, both texts are cheapish compared to new editions of other physics textbooks.

If you want to study calculus as well concurrently, Anton has a decent book, which can be had for about 5 dollars on amazon. Some people don't like, but it's a good everyman's book in my opinion. (Edit, never mind, looked it up on amazon and it's now about 30 dollars for a used copy. Which is surprising, not sure why it went up.)

Likes Franco_Carr14

1. What is the role of math in studying physics?

Math is essential in studying physics because it provides the language and tools necessary to describe and analyze complex physical phenomena. Without math, it would be difficult to understand the relationships between different physical quantities and make accurate predictions about the behavior of systems.

2. What specific math subjects are recommended to study for physics?

The most important math subjects to study for physics are algebra, calculus, and geometry. These provide the foundation for understanding fundamental concepts in physics such as equations of motion, derivatives, and vectors. Other useful subjects include trigonometry, differential equations, and linear algebra.

3. Do I need to have advanced math skills to study physics?

While advanced math skills are not necessary, a strong foundation in basic math concepts is crucial for studying physics. As you progress in your studies, you will encounter more complex mathematical concepts, but these can be learned and developed with practice and perseverance.

4. Can I study physics without a strong background in math?

It is possible to study physics without a strong math background, but it will be challenging. Many physics concepts rely heavily on mathematical equations and relationships, and without a solid understanding of math, it will be difficult to fully grasp these concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve your math skills and succeed in studying physics.

5. How can I improve my math skills for studying physics?

The best way to improve your math skills for studying physics is through practice. Work through problems and equations, seek help from teachers or tutors, and utilize online resources and textbooks. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of math, so reviewing basic concepts and building a solid foundation is crucial.