Preparing for University: Finding the Right Calculus Textbook

In summary, when choosing a calculus textbook for university, factors to consider include difficulty level, topics covered, format and layout, author's style, supplemental materials, learning style, and course requirements. To determine if a textbook is suitable for your level of understanding, you can read reviews and look at the table of contents and sample chapters. Whether to buy a new or used textbook depends on personal preference and budget, but it is important to inspect used textbooks carefully. Online resources such as Goodreads, Amazon, and textbook comparison websites can also aid in finding the right textbook. While it is generally recommended to use the most recent edition, using a previous edition may be acceptable depending on the changes made and the course requirements.
kuli
Looking forward to going back to school and get that degree thingey over with.

Will be using the summer on brushing up the old math skills. Anyone got a good recommendation for a calculus textbook that can jog my memory and bring me back up to entry level university speed?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Stewart is a pretty standard book.

"Teach Yourself Calculus" by Hugh Neill.

"A First Course in Calculus" by Lang.

Calculus by Stewart is a fine book.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a calculus textbook for university?

When selecting a calculus textbook for university, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the topics covered, the format and layout, the author's style, and the supplemental materials included. You should also take into account your own learning style and the requirements of your course.

2. How do I know if a calculus textbook is suitable for my level of understanding?

One way to determine if a calculus textbook is suitable for your level of understanding is to read reviews from other students or professors who have used the book. You can also look at the table of contents and sample chapters to get a sense of the difficulty level and topics covered.

3. Is it better to buy a new or used calculus textbook?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and budget. New textbooks may have updated information and come with access to online resources, but they can be more expensive. Used textbooks may be more affordable, but they may also have outdated information or missing pages. It is important to carefully inspect a used textbook before purchasing it.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me find the right calculus textbook?

Yes, there are several online resources that can help you find the right calculus textbook. Some popular options include Goodreads, Amazon, and textbook comparison websites such as BookFinder or CheapestTextbooks.

5. Can I use a calculus textbook from a previous edition?

In most cases, it is recommended to use the most recent edition of a calculus textbook. However, if the changes between editions are minor, you may be able to use a previous edition. It is important to consult with your professor or the course syllabus to ensure that you are using the correct edition and that you will have access to all necessary materials.