Mathematica: copying math without pretty-print?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter FocusedWolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the user is asking how to turn off the pretty-print function in Mathematica and convert expressions to InputForm. This can be done by pressing the key combination Control + Shift + I. The user also mentions that Ctrl + Shift + N produces the fancy-print.
FocusedWolf
[SOLVED] Mathematica: copying math without pretty-print?

Hi,
how do you turn off the pretty print? i did this once by axcident but i can't figure out the keys i pressed... it was helpful cause i needed to do that anyway to paste it in matlab... anyone know how i did it so you can explain it to me? :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Control + Shift + I converts to InputForm, as does applying InputForm to the expression.
Then expressions will be written like
Integrate[Sqrt[-(I*x)^2], {x, 0, Pi}]
instead of with the fancy integrals and doublestruck and greek symbols.

(For completeness, Ctrl + Shift + N produces the fancy-print)

Last edited:
Thanks

1. How can I copy mathematical equations from Mathematica without the pretty-print formatting?

To copy mathematical equations without the pretty-print formatting in Mathematica, you can use the "InputForm" function. Simply select the equation you want to copy, right-click on it, and choose "Copy As" followed by "InputForm". This will copy the equation in a plain text format.

2. Why would I want to copy math without the pretty-print formatting?

Copying math without the pretty-print formatting can be useful for a variety of reasons. It allows you to paste the equations into other programs or documents without any formatting issues. It also makes it easier to edit the equations if needed.

3. Is there a way to copy multiple equations without the pretty-print formatting?

Yes, you can use the "HoldForm" or "Defer" functions to copy multiple equations without the pretty-print formatting. These functions will preserve the equations in their original form, allowing you to paste them into other programs or documents without any formatting changes.

4. How do I paste the copied equations into another program or document?

To paste the copied equations into another program or document, simply use the "Paste" function or press "Ctrl+V" on your keyboard. The equations will be pasted in their original form without any formatting changes.

5. Can I still use the copied equations in Mathematica after removing the pretty-print formatting?

Yes, you can still use the copied equations in Mathematica even after removing the pretty-print formatting. You can simply paste the equations into a new Mathematica notebook and use them as you normally would.