Mathematical derivation for gravity

In summary: I understand that proof (and it's what I was looking for) but it seems like each proof I find depends on a different law. The rest, about the surface integrals is clear and makes perfect sense, but the original law is giving me some trouble. Where did this come from? Sorry, I hate to keep bothering you with these questions.You're welcome!
amcavoy
Is there a mathematical derivation for:

[tex]g=\frac{GM}{r^{2}}[/tex]

...or is that just observed?

Also, if someone knows how to show this, could you post it here or at least a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
apmcavoy said:
Is there a mathematical derivation for:

[tex]g=\frac{GM}{r^{2}}[/tex]

...or is that just observed?

Also, if someone knows how to show this, could you post it here or at least a hint?

Combining Newton's 2nd law of motion with Newton's law of gravitational attraction gives your result:

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F=ma[/tex]

The acceleration, a, is labelled g.

Theoretician said:
Combining Newton's 2nd law of motion with Newton's law of gravitational attraction gives your result:

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]F=ma[/tex]

The acceleration, a, is labelled g.

I guess what I'm asking then is how do you prove Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Thank you.

Last edited:
apmcavoy said:

I thought that it was too simple a reply. As far as I know, Newton came up with that by finding that the force should be proportional to the mass of each body and inversely proportional to the distance between them squared. I believe that this was a prediction rather than a result of observation. The constant G is found through experiment (its value, of course, depending on the units used for the distance and the masses).

Theoretician said:
I thought that it was too simple a reply. As far as I know, Newton came up with that by finding that the force should be proportional to the mass of each body and inversely proportional to the distance between them squared. I believe that this was a prediction rather than a result of observation. The constant G is found through experiment (its value, of course, depending on the units used for the distance and the masses).

Alright, I was just wondering. I have heard that someone proved it with ellipses, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right thing.

Thanks for your help.

apmcavoy said:

You can't give a purely mathematical proof of any equation of physics that has empirical content. But it can be shown that Newton's law of gravitation can be derived from a more general priniciple, "Gauss' law" for gravitation.

If we define the "gravitational flux" [itex]\Phi_g[/itex] as the surface integral [itex]\Phi_g\equiv\int_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex], then Gauss' law for gravitation states the following:

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=-4\pi Gm_{enclosed}[/itex]

The closed surface is the so-called "Gaussian surface". Now if the mass is a point particle of mass [itex]M[/itex] situated at the center of a Gaussian sphere, then we have the following for the LHS of Gauss's law:

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=\oint_SgdS[/itex]

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=g\oint_SdS[/itex]

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=g(r)\cdot 4\pi r^2[/itex].

Plugging that into the LHS of Gauss' law gives:

[itex]g(r)=-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/itex].

So, the force [itex]F[/itex] exerted by our point mass on a second particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] is:

[itex]F=mg(r)=-\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex].

Tom Mattson said:
You can't give a purely mathematical proof of any equation of physics that has empirical content. But it can be shown that Newton's law of gravitation can be derived from a more general priniciple, "Gauss' law" for gravitation.

If we define the "gravitational flux" [itex]\Phi_g[/itex] as the surface integral [itex]\Phi_g\equiv\int_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex], then Gauss' law for gravitation states the following:

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=-4\pi Gm_{enclosed}[/itex]

The closed surface is the so-called "Gaussian surface". Now if the mass is a point particle of mass [itex]M[/itex] situated at the center of a Gaussian sphere, then we have the following for the LHS of Gauss's law:

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=\oint_SgdS[/itex]

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=g\oint_SdS[/itex]

[itex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=g(r)\cdot 4\pi r^2[/itex].

Plugging that into the LHS of Gauss' law gives:

[itex]g(r)=-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/itex].

So, the force [itex]F[/itex] exerted by our point mass on a second particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] is:

[itex]F=mg(r)=-\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex].

I understand that proof (and it's what I was looking for) but it seems like each proof I find depends on a different law. The rest, about the surface integrals is clear and makes perfect sense, but the original law is giving me some trouble. Where did this come from? Sorry, I hate to keep bothering you with these questions.

[tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=-4\pi Gm_{\text{enclosed}}[/tex]

??

Thanks a lot :smile:

apmcavoy said:
Where did this come from?

[tex]\oint_S\vec{g}\cdot d\vec{S}=-4\pi Gm_{\text{enclosed}}[/tex]

I took it as fundamental. You could alternatively take either of the following as fundamental:

[itex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{g}=-4\pi \rho[/itex] (Gauss' law in differential form)

[itex]\vec{g}=\int_Vd\vec{g}=-G\int_V\frac{dM}{r'^2}\hat{r}dV'[/itex] (Newton's law of gravitation in differential form, integrated over a body)

You can derive any of these from the others, but none of them comes from a purely mathematical formalism. That is because they have empirical content.

Just what I wanted to know! Thanks a lot Tom Mattson.

apmcavoy said:
Alright, I was just wondering. I have heard that someone proved it with ellipses, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right thing.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe you're thinking of Feynmen's Lost Lecture?

I don't know... where can I find it (if it isn't really "lost" :smile:)?

I think the relationship between mass and orbital period was an observation first put on paper by kepler. I think that is the fundamental idea that led us to explore the relationships of gravitation, mass, and [itex]4pi[/itex].

Does that answer the original question?

The Moon orbits around the Earth. Since its size does not appear to change, its distance stays about the same, and hence its orbit must be close to a circle. To keep the Moon moving in that circle--rather than wandering off--the Earth must exert a pull on the Moon, and Newton named that pulling force gravity.

Was that the same force which pulled all falling objects downward?

Supposedly, the above question occurred to Newton when he saw an apple falling from a tree. John Conduitt, Newton's assistant at the royal mint and husband of Newton's niece, had this to say about the event when he wrote about Newton's life:
If it was the same force, then a connection would exist between the way objects fell and the motion of the Moon around Earth, that is, its distance and orbital period. The orbital period we know--it is the lunar month, corrected for the motion of the Earth around the Sun, which also affects the length of time between one "new moon" and the next. The distance was first estimated in ancient Greece--see here and here.

To calculate the force of gravity on the Moon, one must also know how much weaker it was at the Moon's distance. Newton showed that if gravity at a distance R was proportional to 1/R2 (varied like the "inverse square of the distance"), then indeed the acceleration g measured at the Earth's surface would correctly predict the orbital period T of the Moon.

"Interestingly, however, the proof which Newton published did not use calculus, but relied on intricate properties of ellipses and other conic sections. "

You can read the full article here, smart guy that Newton, too bad he was not a nice person.

http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Sgravity.htm

It's simple: Newton guessed right, and thus executed one of the most astonishing acts of creativity in human history. Things like Gauss's Law and the Poisson eq. came much later. Turns out that he was right: much observational and theoretical evidence from astronomy -- thanks to Tyco Brahe, Galilleo, Kepler among others -- supported Newton's idea. He, as he said, stood, on the shoulders of others, but stood much taller than his supporters.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What is the mathematical derivation for gravity?

The mathematical derivation for gravity is a set of equations that describe the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the equation for gravity derived?

The equation for gravity is derived using calculus and the principles of classical mechanics. It starts with the assumption that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By applying the laws of motion and using calculus to solve for the force, the equation for gravity (F = Gm1m2/r^2) is derived.

3. Who first derived the equation for gravity?

The equation for gravity was first derived by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He published his theory of universal gravitation in his famous work, "Principia Mathematica". Newton's equation for gravity has been used for centuries and is still widely accepted today.

4. Is the equation for gravity the only way to mathematically describe the force of gravity?

No, there are other mathematical models that have been proposed to describe gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, the equation for gravity (F = Gm1m2/r^2) is still considered to be accurate and is used in many practical applications.

5. What are the units of the gravitational constant (G) in the equation for gravity?

The units of the gravitational constant (G) in the equation for gravity are meters cubed per kilogram per second squared (m^3/kg/s^2). This unit is often represented by the symbol Nm^2/kg^2, which stands for newton meter squared per kilogram squared.