Mathematical Induction - Algebra Manipulation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove a mathematical induction problem involving an expression with a common denominator of 4. The person is trying to show that adding 2(-7)^(k+1) to the right side of the expression will result in the desired outcome, but they are struggling with simplifying the expression. Possible hints are suggested, such as looking at simplifying fractions and manipulating one side of the equation.
Modulus85

Homework Statement

I am working on a mathematical induction problem, where I need to prove:

(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 2)) / 4

Homework Equations

(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 1)) / 4 + 2(-7) ^ (k + 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just need to add the two items in section two above. Now I know I need a common denominator (4):

(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 1)) / 4 + 8(-7) ^ (k + 1) / 4

Unfortunately, I don't know how to progress any further. I don't know how to add the above together. Could someone please provide a few hints to move me along?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Modulus85 said:

Homework Statement

(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 2)) / 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just need to add the two items in section two above. Now I know I need a common denominator (4):

(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 1)) / 4 + 8(-7) ^ (k + 1) / 4

Unfortunately, I don't know how to progress any further. I don't know how to add the above together. Could someone please provide a few hints to move me along?

What exactly are you asked to prove?

Modulus85 said:

(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 2)) / 4

You need to prove an expression?
Can you prove x2?

I am trying to prove that:
2 - 2 * 7 + 2 * 7^2 - ... + 2(-7)^n = (1-(-7)^(n+1))/4

n is a non-negative integer

I did the basis step

I'm at the point where I need to prove P(k) -> P(k + 1)
Therefore, swapping in k+1 for n on the right handside above yields:
(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 2)) / 4

Now I need to add 2(-7)^(k+1) to the right side:

The issue is that I don't know how to simplify (1 - (-7) ^ (k + 1)) / 4 + 2(-7) ^ (k + 1)

Modulus85 said:
I am trying to prove that:
2 - 2 * 7 + 2 * 7^2 - ... + 2(-7)^n = (1-(-7)^(n+1))/4

n is a non-negative integer

I did the basis step

I'm at the point where I need to prove P(k) -> P(k + 1)
Therefore, swapping in k+1 for n on the right hand side above yields:
(1 - (-7) ^ (k + 2)) / 4

Now I need to add 2(-7)^(k+1) to the right side:

The issue is that I don't know how to simplify (1 - (-7) ^ (k + 1)) / 4 + 2(-7) ^ (k + 1)
Yes, you need to assume P(k) , that is, assume [itex]\displaystyle 2+2(-7)+2(-7)^2+2(-7)^3+\dots+2(-7)^{k}=\frac{1-(-7)^{k+1}}{4}\ .[/itex]

From that assumption, you need to show P(k+1), which is:

[itex]\displaystyle 2+2(-7)+2(-7)^2+2(-7)^3+\dots+2(-7)^{k}+2(-7)^{k+1}=\frac{1-(-7)^{k+2}}{4}\ .[/itex]

Added in Edit:

Oh, I see that you already know this.

For [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-7)^{k+1}}{4}+2(-7)^{k+1}=\frac{1-(-7)^{k+2}}{4}\ ,[/itex]

look at simplifying [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-7)^{k+2}}{4}-\frac{1-(-7)^{k+1}}{4}\ .[/itex]

Last edited:
SammyS said:
For [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-7)^{k+1}}{4}+2(-7)^{k+1}=\frac{1-(-7)^{k+2}}{4}\ ,[/itex]

look at simplifying [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-7)^{k+2}}{4}-\frac{1-(-7)^{k+1}}{4}\ .[/itex]

My teacher used to always chuck a tantrum whenever we worked with both sides of the equation we were trying to prove. If your teacher is anything like mine and you can only manipulate one side of the equation, then start with the left.

You have [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-7)^{k+1}}{4}+2(-7)^{k+1}[/itex] and you want to make it equal to [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-(-7)^{k+2}}{4}[/itex]. Well the first thing you should instantly think of is to make it all one fraction - that is, it should be something / 4.
After that, you know that both numerators must be equal because the denominators are equal, hence you're already that much closer to the answer.

1. How is mathematical induction used in algebra manipulation?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to establish a statement for all natural numbers. In algebra manipulation, it is used to prove equations or inequalities involving variables and exponents.

2. What is the difference between weak and strong mathematical induction?

The difference lies in the number of base cases used to prove a statement. In weak induction, only one base case is used while in strong induction, multiple base cases are used to prove a statement for all natural numbers.

3. Can mathematical induction be used to prove all statements in algebra?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements involving real numbers or irrational numbers.

4. How do you know when to use mathematical induction in algebra manipulation?

Mathematical induction is used when there is a pattern or structure in the equation or inequality being proved. It is also used when the statement involves natural numbers or is based on previous results that have been proven using induction.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical induction in algebra manipulation?

Yes, there are limitations to using mathematical induction. It can only be used to prove statements involving natural numbers and may not work for more complex equations or inequalities. It also requires a strong understanding of algebraic manipulation and the ability to identify patterns in equations.