Mathematical methods of physics problem

In summary: Can someone please help me? Thanks!In summary, Ray is trying to find the equation for a function that takes in a negative x input and produces a positive output, but he is having trouble with the Hermite polynomials and the Rodrigues formula.
gorved

Homework Statement

Here's the problem. Verify the operator identity
x - d/dx = -exp (-x^2 / 2) d /dx exp (-x^2 / 2)
Can someone please help me? Thanks :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I would apply both sides of the equation to a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] and compare the results.

I sense the integrating factor method...

ok.thanks for help :)

This seems wrong. You have the same factor exp(-x^2/2) both outside and inside the d/dx. The result (when applied to f(x)) will have a factor exp(-x^2) on the right, but not on the left. I think one of the factors on the right should be exp(+x^2/2), so that the two "exp's" finally cancel.

RGV

As I said Ray, apply them both to a function f to find:
[tex]
xf-\frac{df}{dx}=g(x),\quad e^{-x^{2}/2}\frac{df}{dx} \left( e^{-x^{2}/2}f\right) =g(x)
[/tex]
Both are g(x) as when applied to f they should give the same thing. Use the integrating factor [itex]e^{-x^{2}/2}[/itex] and treat it as an ODE.

thank you both for helping :)

I assume that -exp (-x^2 / 2) d /dx exp (-x^2 / 2) is to be interpreted as an operator that applies to a function f(x), giving -exp(-x^2/2)*(d/dx)[exp(-x^2/2)*f(x)] = x*exp(-x^2)*f(x) - exp(-x^2)*df(x)/dx = exp(-x^2)*[x - d/dx] f(x). The exp(-x^2) arises from exp(-x^2/2)*exp(-x^2/2). Where is my error?

On the other hand (as I suggested before), -exp(+x^2/2) d/dx exp(-x^2/2) applied to f(x) does, indeed, give x*f(x) - df(x)/dx, because we get cancellation: exp(x^2/2)*exp(-x^2/2) = 1.

RGV

let's check this, take the first equation, the integrating factor for this is [itex]-e^{-x^{2}/2}[/itex] and the equation becomes:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\left( -e^{-x^{2}/2}f(x) \right) =-e^{-x^{2}/2}g(x)
[/tex]
Then to isolate g(x), multiply by [itex]-e^{x^{2}/2}[/itex] to get:
[tex]
-e^{x^{2}/2} \frac{d}{dx}\left( -e^{-x^{2}/2}f(x) \right) =g(x)
[/tex]
So there is a difference in signs as Ray said.

The problem is related to the Hermite polynomials and operators of creation and annihilation. The creation operator:
[itex] a^{\dagger}\equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(x- \frac{d}{dx}\right)[/itex]
I played with the Rodrigues formula for Hermite poyinomials (for n=1?):
[itex]H_n (x)=(-1)^n e^{x^2} \frac{d^n}{dx^n}e^{-x^2}[/itex]
and
[itex] \psi_n(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2^n n!\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}H_n(x)[/itex]
but run into some problems.

Last edited:

Related to Mathematical methods of physics problem

1. What are mathematical methods of physics problem?

Mathematical methods of physics problem refer to the use of mathematical techniques and concepts to solve problems in physics. These methods involve using equations, formulas, and mathematical models to analyze physical systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. Why are mathematical methods important in physics?

Mathematical methods are essential in physics because they provide a systematic and precise way of understanding and describing the physical world. They allow scientists to make accurate predictions and explain complex phenomena in a quantitative manner.

3. What are some common mathematical methods used in physics?

Some common mathematical methods used in physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, and probability theory. These methods are used to solve problems in mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, among other areas of physics.

4. How do mathematical methods help in solving physics problems?

Mathematical methods provide a structured approach to solving physics problems. They allow scientists to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and apply mathematical principles to find solutions. By using mathematical methods, scientists can also test the validity of their theories and make accurate predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical methods in physics?

While mathematical methods are powerful tools in physics, they also have limitations. These methods rely on simplified models and assumptions that may not accurately represent real-world situations. Additionally, some physical phenomena may be too complex to be described solely through mathematical equations, requiring the use of other methods such as experiments and simulations.