Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical tools for continuum mechanics

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    Hello^^ (I'm new here)
    I want to know the mathematical tools i need to study continuum mechanics.
    It would be great if someone give me a link that contains video lectures.
    Thanks for help .

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2
    The tools you need for continuum mechanics are ODE's, PDE's, differential geometry, and vector calculus.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    Hello,
    Thanks for your ansewr.
    We started in class" Mécanique des milieux continus " which i translated to "Continuum mechanics".
    We started by talking about the concept of deformation of a solid, about the tensor gradient of transfomation...
    But it was introduced in a poor way (in class): we didn't even talk about what a tensor is..!(we took it as matrix)
    The introduction was insufficient.. and things are vague, not rigourous and not clear to me!
    So, please:
    Could you tell me if i will need to know more about tensor analysis?
    I'm confused about what i should ask you, but i want to know from your experiences the things that an engineer has to know...or.. (a link, a PDF, a video lecture)

PS: I tried to search in MIT ocw but couldn't find exactly what i need.
    Sorry for my being not clear and thank you.

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4
    Vector-Tensor calculus, PDEs, with whatever physics is necessary. A good first start is the FREE book:
    "Functional and Structured Tensor Analysis For Engineers"

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5
    Yes. You really need to know tensor analysis. Here is a link to a document that I was very impressed by, and which appeared in Physics Forums in the section on Learning Materials.
    http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Numbers/Math/documents/Tensors_TM2002211716.pdf

I think you will find it very easy to learn from, and the material is presented in a very effective way.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook