Maximizing Range of 0 < x < 1: Comparing Expressions x-1 and x-1/2

• Thread starter Schnellmann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the question was about finding the largest value for a given x between 0 and 1. The two options were x-1 and x-1/2, and the answer was given as 1/x. The confusion arose because both options have the range from 1 < range < infinity, but it is true that 1/x is larger than 1 over the square root of x for any individual x. Additionally, the concept of "infinities" cannot be compared in this way. The question also asked about the range of x when taking the square root, but the square root has a unique, positive value and does not have a negative range.
Schnellmann

Homework Statement

I was doing some multiple choice questions. One question was:

"Which of the expressions below has the largest value for 0 < x < 1

The two relevant options (dismissing those obviously wrong) were:

x-1 (can't do superscript on my iPhone - that should read X to the power of -1 ie 1/x)

Other option was x-1/2 meaning one over the square root of x

I took the question to mean which equation gives the greatest range for values of x between zero and one.

The answer was given as 1/x but that confuses me because a) both have the range from 1 < range < infinity It is true that for any individual x then 1/x is larger than one over the square root of x but I thought that you couldn't compare infinities in that way.

Also I thought that if you take the square root of x then doesn't it have a positive and negative root such that you actually have a range of - infinity < range < -1 as well as the range 1 < range < infinity.

Where am I going wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Schnellmann said:

Homework Statement

I was doing some multiple choice questions. One question was:

"Which of the expressions below has the largest value for 0 < x < 1

The two relevant options (dismissing those obviously wrong) were:

x-1 (can't do superscript on my iPhone - that should read X to the power of -1 ie 1/x)

Other option was x-1/2 meaning one over the square root of x

I took the question to mean which equation gives the greatest range for values of x between zero and one.

The answer was given as 1/x but that confuses me because a) both have the range from 1 < range < infinity It is true that for any individual x then 1/x is larger than one over the square root of x but I thought that you couldn't compare infinities in that way.

Also I thought that if you take the square root of x then doesn't it have a positive and negative root such that you actually have a range of - infinity < range < -1 as well as the range 1 < range < infinity.

Where am I going wrong?

You may have misinterpreted the question. What about this:

For a given ##x## between ##0## and ##1##, which of the following expressions gives the largest value?

On a second point about square roots. The square root of ##1## is ##1##. As in, ##\sqrt{1} = 1^{1/2} = 1## In other words, the square root has a unique, positive value.

There is another "root", which is: ##y = -\sqrt{x}## which also has the property that ##y^2 = x##. But this ##y## is not the square root.

Likes TomHart

1. What is the range in math?

The range in math refers to the difference between the largest and smallest values in a set of data. It is calculated by subtracting the smallest value from the largest value.

2. How do you find the range of a set of numbers?

To find the range of a set of numbers, you first need to arrange the numbers in ascending or descending order. Then, subtract the smallest number from the largest number. The result will be the range of the set.

3. Why is finding the range important in statistics?

Finding the range in statistics is important because it gives an idea of how spread out the data is. A larger range indicates a wider spread of data, while a smaller range indicates a more concentrated set of data points.

4. Can the range be negative?

Yes, the range can be negative if the smallest value in the set is greater than the largest value. This can happen if the data set includes negative numbers and the smallest negative number is larger than the largest positive number.

5. How is range different from mean and median?

The range, mean, and median are all measures of central tendency in a set of data. Range measures the spread of the data, while mean and median measure the average and middle value, respectively. Range is influenced by extreme values, while mean and median are not.