1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths question - range

1. Jul 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was doing some multiple choice questions. One question was:

"Which of the expressions below has the largest value for 0 < x < 1

The two relevant options (dismissing those obviously wrong) were:

x-1 (can't do superscript on my iPhone - that should read X to the power of -1 ie 1/x)

Other option was x-1/2 meaning one over the square root of x

I took the question to mean which equation gives the greatest range for values of x between zero and one.

The answer was given as 1/x but that confuses me because a) both have the range from 1 < range < infinity It is true that for any individual x then 1/x is larger than one over the square root of x but I thought that you couldn't compare infinities in that way.

Also I thought that if you take the square root of x then doesn't it have a positive and negative root such that you actually have a range of - infinity < range < -1 as well as the range 1 < range < infinity.

Where am I going wrong?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may have misinterpreted the question. What about this:

For a given ##x## between ##0## and ##1##, which of the following expressions gives the largest value?

On a second point about square roots. The square root of ##1## is ##1##. As in, ##\sqrt{1} = 1^{1/2} = 1## In other words, the square root has a unique, positive value.

There is another "root", which is: ##y = -\sqrt{x}## which also has the property that ##y^2 = x##. But this ##y## is not the square root.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted