Solving Matrix Equations: k Values and Matrix Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions on matrices. The first question asks for what values of k make the given equation satisfied, while the second question asks which of the given matrix operations are defined. The experts point out mistakes in the solutions provided and explain the rules for adding matrices.
dagg3r
hi all just got stuck on these questions on matrices just wondering if anyone can help me out thanks

1. For which values of k is the folowing equation satisfied?

|3-k 5 |
= 0
|4 4-k |

its all in a matrix. I am thinking it is the determinant =0 so
(3-k)(4-k) - 20 = 0

12-7k-k^2 - 20 = 0
-k^2-7k-44=0
then we solve for k? that's out ans?

2. IF A is a matrix or order 2x1, B is 2x3 and C is 3x3 which of the folowing is defined?
a) ABC
b) AT B ( a is transposed * B)
c) BCT + AT (B*Ctransposed + Atransposed)

well i know a) cannot be defined since when you multiply matrices must be the order ie 2x1 * 1x3 etc but won't work

b) can be defined

c) confused since adding matrices not sure how that works.

please reply

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1:
The question askes for what k that make Det(A) = 0. A is the matrix the problem gives.
Yes. That's correct, but it should read : k^2 -7k - 8 = 0.
Question 2:
a, and b you got it right. For c, A + B is defined iff they have the same dimensions (same number of rows and columns).
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
This part is right:

(3-k)(4-k) - 20 = 0

but from there, you said:

12-7k-k^2 - 20 = 0
-k^2-7k-44=0

which is wrong. The mistakes are in red. For the second question, part c), do you know how to add matrices, and what rules there are for adding matrices? Matrices must have the same dimension to be added.

EDIT : Sorry, I see VietDao has already said pretty much what I've said. However, he gave you the equation for part 1, but I'm adding some information by telling you where the mistakes are, so hopefully this helps too.

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation that involves matrices, which are arrays of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. In a matrix equation, the matrices on either side of the equal sign are multiplied together to find the solution.

2. What is a k value in a matrix equation?

A k value, also known as a scalar, is a constant number that is multiplied by every element in a matrix. This k value can change the scale of the matrix, but it does not change the shape or structure of the matrix.

3. How do you solve a matrix equation with k values?

To solve a matrix equation with k values, you can use the properties of matrix multiplication. First, you can distribute the k value to each element in the matrix. Then, you can solve the resulting equation using traditional algebraic methods, such as combining like terms and isolating the variable.

4. What is the role of matrix multiplication in solving matrix equations?

Matrix multiplication is essential in solving matrix equations because it allows us to manipulate the values in a matrix and find the solution to the equation. Without matrix multiplication, it would be challenging to solve complex matrix equations.

5. Can you use the same method to solve all matrix equations with k values?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve all matrix equations with k values. As long as the matrices involved follow the rules of matrix multiplication, the same steps can be applied to solve the equations. However, the specific numbers and variables in the equations may vary.