Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix elements. LHO.

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    For matrix element ##(a)_{i,j}##
    ##j## represent column. Is this always the case? For example in case of linear harmonic oscillator ##(\hat{a}^+)_{1,0}=\langle 1|\hat{a}^+|0 \rangle =1##. It is easier to me to see this in Dirac notation, because kets are columns and bras are rows.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that is why the comma is put in.

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. It would be very confusing to use a different convention for different operators.

Suppose that x and y are vectors and that A is an operator. We want the matrix equation that corresponds to y=Ax to look like [y]=[A][x]. The transpose of this equation is [x]T[A]T=[y]T. So if we would define the matrix [A] (which represents the operator A) as the transpose of the matrix we'd normally use, the matrix equation that corresponds to y=Ax would be [y]T=[x]T[A]. I suppose we could change the definitions of [x] and [y] as well. Then we'd end up with [y]=[x][A], which is slightly prettier, but still has the factors on the right in the "wrong" order.

You might want to take a look at the FAQ post about the relationship between linear operators and matrices in the Math FAQ subforum of the General Math forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook