Matrix Elements: LHO & Dirac Notation

In summary, when dealing with matrix elements such as ##(a)_{i,j}##, the convention is that ##j## represents the column. This convention remains consistent for all operators to avoid confusion. While there may be alternative ways to represent the equations, the convention of using columns for kets and rows for bras is the most commonly used and should be followed for consistency.
LagrangeEuler
For matrix element ##(a)_{i,j}##
##j## represent column. Is this always the case? For example in case of linear harmonic oscillator ##(\hat{a}^+)_{1,0}=\langle 1|\hat{a}^+|0 \rangle =1##. It is easier to me to see this in Dirac notation, because kets are columns and bras are rows.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is why the comma is put in.

LagrangeEuler said:
For matrix element ##(a)_{i,j}##, ##j## represent column. Is this always the case?
Yes. It would be very confusing to use a different convention for different operators.

Suppose that x and y are vectors and that A is an operator. We want the matrix equation that corresponds to y=Ax to look like [y]=[A][x]. The transpose of this equation is [x]T[A]T=[y]T. So if we would define the matrix [A] (which represents the operator A) as the transpose of the matrix we'd normally use, the matrix equation that corresponds to y=Ax would be [y]T=[x]T[A]. I suppose we could change the definitions of [x] and [y] as well. Then we'd end up with [y]=[x][A], which is slightly prettier, but still has the factors on the right in the "wrong" order.

You might want to take a look at the FAQ post about the relationship between linear operators and matrices in the Math FAQ subforum of the General Math forum.

1. What is a matrix element in LHO and Dirac notation?

A matrix element in LHO and Dirac notation is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude for a quantum system to transition from one state to another. In LHO notation, it is represented as <i|O|j>, where <i| and |j> are the bra and ket vectors representing the initial and final states, respectively, and O is the operator. In Dirac notation, it is written as ψiυ, where ψ and υ are the wave functions of the initial and final states, respectively, and i and j are the indices representing the states.

2. How are matrix elements calculated in LHO and Dirac notation?

In LHO notation, the matrix element is calculated by taking the inner product of the bra and ket vectors, and then applying the operator O to the resulting vector. In Dirac notation, the matrix element is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the complex conjugate of the initial state wave function and the final state wave function.

3. What is the significance of matrix elements in quantum mechanics?

Matrix elements play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they provide a way to calculate the transition probabilities between different states of a quantum system. They are used in various calculations such as determining the energy levels of atoms and molecules, and predicting the outcomes of quantum experiments.

4. How does the LHO notation differ from Dirac notation?

The main difference between LHO notation and Dirac notation is the way the states and operators are represented. In LHO notation, states are represented as vectors, while in Dirac notation, states are represented as wave functions. Additionally, in LHO notation, operators are written in between the bra and ket vectors, while in Dirac notation, operators are written outside of the wave functions.

5. Can matrix elements be visualized in quantum mechanics?

While matrix elements are abstract mathematical concepts, they can be visualized in some cases. For example, in the case of spin systems, the matrix elements can be represented as arrows pointing in different directions, which can aid in understanding the quantum states and their transitions. However, for more complex systems, it may be difficult to visualize the matrix elements.