Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix elements of the secular determinant for trial functions?

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    This is the quantum part for solving wavefunctions of mulit-electron atoms that need to be approximated by the variation method.

Specifically we are supposed to differentiate this equation using the quotient rule :

E(c1,c2) = [(c1^2*H11 + 2c1c2H12 + c2^2*H22) / (c1^2*S11 + 2c1c2*S12 + c2^2S22)]

Our book only shows the way to do it using the product rule after you bring the bottom onto the initial left side of the equation...

H and S are constants, with c as the adjustable variable of the equation... I think.

I've finished the differentiation but I got a different answer than I should have (we were given the answer)... Could anyone refer me to a website or something that shows the quotient rule? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted