Max Electric Field on 4.3mC Ring of Charge: Radius 4cm

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
chopticks
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
The problem statement: Determine the maximum electric field on the axis of a ring of charge 4.3mC. The radius is 4cm.

I think the key is to use ekvation 1 and derivate to determine the maximum electric field but I'm not sure. Q is the charge, x is axis of the ring, a is the radius. Any suggestion?
 
Attachments
  • ekvation 1.jpg
    ekvation 1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
instead of differentiate, I plot the function in an graph. accodring to the graph there is only on max point where x is approx 0.12m and the electric fields is 4.246*10^18N/C. The electric field is etremley high but since the charge of the ring is 4.3mC it is quite reasonable. Is it physical correct reason?
 
Shooting star said:
x= a/(sqrt 2) at the pt of maximum.

now I get the same answer as you=), thanks a lot!