Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision: Electron & Photon

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum amount of energy (Ek) that can be transferred to an electron when a photon of energy E collides with it. The equation used is Ek = E - mc^2*E/(mc^2 + 2E), but the validity of this equation is questioned due to the lack of dependence on angle and unknown assumptions.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"A photon of energy E collides with an electron at rest. Calculate the maximum amount of Energy Ek that may be transferred to the electron. Make a graph of Ek versus E, labeling the scale in electronvolts.

Homework Equations

Transfer = Ek = E - mc^2*E/(mc^2 + 2E)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm not sure if I have the correct equation, the reason why is:

I take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0

E = -mc^2

and then I plug that value into my function of Ek and I get 0.. but how can the max value for energy transfer be 0? I understand the -mc^2 conceptually saying perfect back scattering but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy of the outgoing photon in Compton scattering is a function of the angle. Your formula doesn't depend on the angle, so it's not a general formula for this type of scattering. Wherever you got this expression, it should explain any assumptions that went into deriving it. You need to know what those assumptions are before you use the formula. For all you know, it may not even be valid for this situation.

1. What is a Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision?

A Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision is a collision between a high-energy electron and a photon (particle of light) that results in the transfer of the maximum amount of energy from the electron to the photon.

2. How is energy transferred in a Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision?

In a Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision, the energy is transferred through the exchange of virtual particles, such as photons or other particles. This transfer of energy is governed by the laws of relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of a Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision?

A Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision has important implications in particle physics and astrophysics, as it can provide insights into the nature of matter and the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear energy.

4. How is a Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision different from other types of collisions?

A Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collision differs from other collisions in that it involves particles moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. This results in a transfer of energy that is close to the maximum possible amount, and also leads to interesting relativistic effects such as time dilation.

5. What are some current research topics related to Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collisions?

Some current research topics related to Max Energy Transfer Relativistic Collisions include studying the properties of matter at high energies, understanding the role of virtual particles in energy transfer, and exploring the potential of using these collisions for energy production and propulsion in space travel.