Max Extension of Spring: Conservation of Energy w/ Masses M & m

In summary, In both methods the maximum extension of the spring is found to be equal to the distance between the masses multiplied by the spring constant. However, the first method uses conservation of momentum while the second method uses conservation of energy.
Dan112
Hi.

I'd like to find the maximal extension of a spring. The spring has a spring constant [itex]k[/itex]. There's a mass [itex]m[/itex] connected on the spring. From a height [itex]h[/itex] above the initial location of mass [itex]m[/itex] another mass [itex]M[/itex] falls. When the two masses make contact they move as one. I found two methods to calculate that extension but the solution differs slightly.

Method 1:
Solve a differential equation of Newton's law and use conservation of momentum in the boundary conditions:
[itex](M+m)\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}+kx(t)=(M+m)g[/itex]
Which results in [itex]x(t) = A \sin(\omega t) + B \cos(\omega t) + \frac{(M+m)g}{k}[/itex] with [itex]\omega=\sqrt{k/(M+m)}[/itex].
With boundary conditions [itex]x(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dx(0)}{dt} (M+m) = \sqrt{2gh} M[/itex] the coefficients [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] become [itex]\frac{M\sqrt{2gh}}{(M+m)\omega}[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{(M+m)g}{k}[/itex].
The maximum of [itex]x(t)[/itex] is [itex]\Delta=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}+\frac{(M+m)g}{k} = \sqrt{\frac{2ghM^2}{(M+m)k}+\frac{(M+m)^2g^2}{k^2}}+\frac{(M+m)g}{k}[/itex]

Method 2:
Conservation of energy:
[itex]Mgh + (M+m)g\Delta=k\Delta^2/2[/itex]
which results in
[itex]\Delta=\sqrt{\frac{2Mgh}{k} + \frac{(M+m)^2g^2}{k^2}} + \frac{(M+m)g}{k}[/itex]

The first term under the square root differs. Why?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Dan112 said:
When the two masses make contact they move as one.
I see one inelastic collision, and one elastic collision. Might be mistaken.

Bystander said:
I see one inelastic collision, and one elastic collision. Might be mistaken.

Okay. So if they move together I should use the differential equation. Thank you

Dan112 said:
[itex]\frac{dx(0)}{dt} (M+m) = \sqrt{2gh} M[/itex]

I prefer:

[itex] \frac{1}{2}(M+m)x'(0)^2 = Mgh [/itex]
[itex] \omega A = x'(0) = \frac{1}{\omega} \sqrt{ \frac{2Mgh}{M+m} } [/itex]
[itex] A = \sqrt{\frac{M+m}{k} } \sqrt{ \frac{2Mgh}{M+m} } = \sqrt{\frac{2Mgh}{k}} [/itex]

Does that reconcile the two methods?

Likes jim mcnamara
Stephen Tashi said:
Does that reconcile the two methods?

Yes it does. Thank you. It results in the same answer as the second method. But if I'm correct then both masses will move separately if that method is used. I didn't realize I was mixing elastic and inelastic collisions. Is it also possible to use conservation of energy to get the same result as the first method?

Dan112 said:
Is it also possible to use conservation of energy to get the same result as the first method?

Did you mean the conservation of momentum? The second method used the conservation of energy.

Stephen Tashi said:
Did you mean the conservation of momentum? The second method used the conservation of energy.
Oh sorry. Yes I mean conservation of momentum. I tried to combine both conservation of momentum and energy to give me the extension like this:
[itex]\sqrt{2gh}M=(M+m)v[/itex]
[itex](M+m)v^2/2=k\Delta^2/2[/itex]
Which results in:
[itex]\Delta=\sqrt{\frac{2ghM^2}{k(M+m)}}[/itex]

I'm obviously mixing conservation of energy and momentum and inelastic and elastic collisions in all these calculations which of course is wrong.

The momentum of a system is conserved where there are no external forces. To embed the problem in a system where there are no external forces, you'd have to add the Earth to the to the picture so that its gravity is not an external force to the system. Considering the Earth as part of the system, the initial momentum of the system can be taken as zero. It remains zero. The momenta of the indiviual masses in the system cancel out.

Likewise, the kinetic energy of a system need not be conserved when external forces are acting. I suppose you can consider the collision in this problem to be inelastic if include the spring as part of the system that contains mass m, but the force of gravity is an external force to the system of the two masses and the spring, so that by itself says that kinetic energy need not be conserved.

Given the exernal forces (when we don't consider the Earth as part of the system) it's impressive that the conservation of total energy still works. It would also work if we used an inverse square law for gravity instead of modeling it as a constant. However, what would happen if gravity was a time-varying force? Would this imply energy going in and out of the system? It's an interesting question to think about.

Related to Max Extension of Spring: Conservation of Energy w/ Masses M & m

1. What is the equation for calculating the maximum extension of a spring?

The equation for calculating the maximum extension of a spring is x = (mg)/(k + K), where x is the maximum extension, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, g is the acceleration due to gravity, k is the spring constant, and K is the equivalent spring constant of any other springs in the system.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum extension of the spring?

The mass of the object has a direct effect on the maximum extension of the spring. As the mass increases, the maximum extension also increases. This is because the force of gravity pulling down on the mass adds to the overall force acting on the spring, causing it to stretch further.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in the equation for maximum extension?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch it a certain distance. In the equation for maximum extension, a higher spring constant will result in a smaller maximum extension.

4. How does the conservation of energy play a role in the calculation of maximum extension of a spring?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of a spring, the potential energy stored in the spring is equal to the work done on it to stretch it. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. By considering the conservation of energy, we can calculate the maximum extension of the spring.

5. Can the maximum extension of a spring ever be greater than the length of the unstretched spring?

No, the maximum extension of a spring can never be greater than the length of the unstretched spring. This is because the spring will reach its maximum extension when the force of gravity and the force of the spring are equal and opposite. At this point, the forces will cancel each other out and the spring will not stretch any further.