Max. n for TIR - air-medium interface

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical problem of determining the maximum possible value for the refractive index 'n' in a parallel-sided slab that allows for total internal reflection when a light ray is obliquely incident on the slab. The proof presented suggests that the maximum value for 'n' is √2, but it is not mathematically rigorous. The counter-argument points out that the proof is not valid as it does not consider all possible angles and that there is no maximum value for 'n', as it can be arbitrary greater than √2.
psyphy

Homework Statement

A light ray in air is obliquely incident on a parallel-sided slab of refractive index 'n'.
The light ray refracts and hits the left side of the slab and undergoes total internal refraction.
What is the maximum possible 'n' value?

NOTE - This is a theoretical problem that I created upon observation of a numerical problem that asks for range of incident angles. I do not know if maximum 'n' value can exist for any given circumstances. Also, I have neglected the fact that at critical angle incidence, T.I.R. doesn't occur. However, a small dθ after c should cause T.I.R, so I have left out that negligible amount. Please point out any clarification and/or errors in my assumptions.

Homework Equations

n * sin θ = constant
sin c = 1 / n

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, assume the ray is incident at angle i on the top side.
Upon refraction, we can say → sin i = n * sin r.
Also, since maximum value of sin() is 1; sin i < 1 → n * sin r < 1
( we disregard i = 90°, as the ray is obliquely incident on, and not grazing, the slab)

Now, for air-slab interface, of critical angle c, we know that sin c = 1 / n.
Also, when we draw a diagram, the normals to the incident ray and refracted, T.I.R-ing ray form a right triangle, with c and r as the other two angles → c + r = 90° → c = 90° - r
Taking sin() on both sides, we get sin c = sin (90° - r) = cos r
OR, cos r = 1 / n → sin r = √(1 - ( 1 / n^2 ) ) → n * sin r = √( n^2 - 1)
OR, √( n^2 - 1) < 1 → n^2 < 2 → n < √2

Therefore, the maximum value for 'n', for ray at air-slab interface to undergo T.I.R, is √2.

Attachments

• Doubt D.jpg
    Doubt D.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump?...

Your diagram is wrong angle r should be less than angle i

@truesearch -

My apologies! I rushed through while making the diagram on Paint.NET.

Regardless, what do you think of the proof?

The result is correct, but the proof is not mathematically rigorous.
So sinr≤1/n, cos(r)≤1/n...

ehild

What exactly does that mean?

What are the implications of this proof and your counter-arguments?

I'm a bit confused...

For total reflection, 90-r, the angle of incidence at the side of the slab must be greater than or equal to the critical angle θc even with the greatest r, which is equal to θc

90°-r≥θc,→ r≤90°-θc even for the greatest r:

r ≤θc≤90°-θc→ θc≤45°

The sine function is monotonously increasing between 0°and 90° so

sinθc=1/n≤1/√2 →n≥√2:

the refractive index can not be smaller than √2. √2 is the smallest, the minimum refractive index that ensures total reflection. There is no maximum refractive index. It can be arbitrary greater than √2.

ehild

Related to Max. n for TIR - air-medium interface

1. What does TIR stand for?

TIR stands for total internal reflection.

2. What is the maximum value of n for TIR to occur at an air-medium interface?

The maximum value of n for TIR to occur at an air-medium interface is 1.00, which is the refractive index of air.

3. How is the maximum value of n for TIR calculated?

The maximum value of n for TIR is calculated using the critical angle formula, which is arcsin(1/n). In this case, n=1.00 for air, so the critical angle is 90 degrees.

4. What happens when the value of n is higher than the maximum value for TIR?

If the value of n is higher than the maximum value for TIR, the light will not undergo total internal reflection and instead will be partially reflected and partially refracted at the interface.

5. What is the practical application of knowing the maximum value of n for TIR?

The maximum value of n for TIR is important in the design of optical devices, such as fiber optic cables, which rely on TIR to transmit light signals without loss. Knowing the maximum value helps engineers determine the optimal materials to use for these devices.