Maximizing the distance of a projectile

• Thread starter IDumb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: I think I need to do some more experiments to figure this out.In summary, the angle you hold your head at relative to the ground affects the distance you can spit. You can get the distance by finding the time it takes for the projectile to reach the ground at a particular y value, and then using the quadratic equation to find the value of D at that y value.
IDumb
1) This is not a homework problem, just a question I came across and can't solve adequately.
2) Sorry if this is wrong area to post it.

Homework Statement

What angle would be best to hold your head at relative to ground to maximize the distance you can spit.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram, horizontal axis was distance in the x direction, vertical axis was distance in y direction. I drew a vector for velocity, V0 at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] relative to ground. vx and vy represent the x and y components of this initial velocity vector. The initial velocity starts from a height of h.

I then divided it into 2 equations, the acceleration in the y and x directions.

The Y direction:
ay = -9.8 (m/s2)
integrate twice to obtain position function:
py(t) = -4.9t2 + vyt + h

Next, I found the time, t1, that the projectile (saying spit sounds weirder) would reach ground, at y = 0.

py(t1) = 0
using the quadratic equation I obtained 2 results, 1 of which had to be negative. So the other one is the time we want.

t1 = Vy/9.8 + (1/9.8)([tex]\sqrt{vy2 + 19.6h})

OK, so at this time, we will have y = 0 and x = D, the farthest distance the projectile will reach.

The x equation:
ax = 0 --> vx(t) = vx --> px(t) = vxt

replace t with the value found for t1, because that will give us an equation for D, the maximum distance.
vx(t1) = D = \frac{vxvy}{9.8} + (1/9.8)(vx\sqrt{vy2 + 19.6h)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so how are vx and vy related to the launch angle and the projectile speed?

meh, sorry, had some issues posting it must have gotten deleted.

I subbed in vx = v0cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) and vy = v0sin([tex]\theta[/tex]). Then i took dD/d[tex]\theta[/tex]. Set it = 0, used a computer to solve it.

at angle of 45

NEILS BOHR said:
at angle of 45

Sure, if h = 0. What if h [tex]\neq[/tex] 0?

gneill said:
Sure, if h = 0. What if h [tex]\neq[/tex] 0?

That's the issue. At h = 0 it simplifies easily. I get a messy equation for D with respect to theta. Leading to stupid mistakes when taking the derivative to find the critical points. I used a computer to solve what I had, and I got angles that varied with both height and the magnitude of the initial speed. That can't be right though, the angle shouldn't vary with the initial speed's magnitude.

FAQ: Maximizing the distance of a projectile

1. How can the distance of a projectile be maximized?

The distance of a projectile can be maximized by adjusting the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

2. What is the optimal angle of launch for maximizing distance?

The optimal angle of launch for maximizing distance is 45 degrees, as this angle provides the greatest balance between the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's motion.

3. How does air resistance affect the distance of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, decreases the distance of a projectile by slowing it down as it travels through the air. The greater the air resistance, the shorter the distance traveled.

4. What role does initial velocity play in maximizing the distance of a projectile?

Initial velocity is a crucial factor in maximizing the distance of a projectile. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer distance traveled, as long as the angle of launch and air resistance remain constant.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance of a projectile?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the distance of a projectile, such as the mass and shape of the projectile, the elevation of the launch point, and the presence of external forces such as wind. These factors should also be taken into consideration when trying to maximize the distance of a projectile.