Maximum Acceleration: I Got the Correct Answer

In summary: What do you think?And it is also in the direction of angular velocity, right?Correct, so what is its magnitude? And how does that relate to the magnitude of tangential acceleration, given that you have constant speed?The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is v^2/r, and it relates to the tangential acceleration by the Pythagorean theorem, where the total acceleration is the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by tangential and centripetal acceleration. Since the speed is constant, the tangential acceleration is 0, so the total acceleration is just the centripetal acceleration which is v^2/r.In summary, the position of an object is given by y(x)=sin(x) and it moves
rashida564
Homework Statement
Position of an object is given by y(X)=sin(x), and moves with constant speed v. Find the maximum speed given that, the acceleration at the top shouldn't exceed g.
Relevant Equations
a=dv/dt
I got the correct answer which is √g. I solved it as if it were a circular motion with radius of 1. But got no idea why my solution did work.

Physics news on Phys.org
rashida564 said:
Homework Statement:: Position of an object is given by y(X)=sin(x), and moves with constant speed v.
Please show your detailed work so we can check it.

Also, this problem statement is confusing to me. Is it saying that v(t) is constant, and the position y(x) follows a sinusoidal path? How can you find the "maximum speed" if the speed is constant?

berkeman said:
Is it saying that v(t) is constant, and the position y(x) follows a sinusoidal path? How can you find the "maximum speed" if the speed is constant?
It says the speed is a constant v. Whether you consider it v(t) or v(x) is immaterial. It asks for the maximum value of a constant given a constraint, not the maximum over time.

Thanks @haruspex -- I still am not understanding, but will just watch to see how the OP responds. Guess I'll learn something. :smile:

rashida564 said:
Homework Statement:: Position of an object is given by y(X)=sin(x), and moves with constant speed v. Find the maximum speed given that, the acceleration at the top shouldn't exceed g.
Homework Equations:: a=dv/dt

I got the correct answer which is √g. I solved it as if it were a circular motion with radius of 1. But got no idea why my solution did work.
I think you just got lucky. What if it had been A sin(ωx)?

berkeman said:
Thanks @haruspex -- I still am not understanding, but will just watch to see how the OP responds. Guess I'll learn something. :smile:
It's like asking for the maximum safe cornering speed on a non-uniformly curved track.

Likes sysprog and berkeman
haruspex said:
I think you just got lucky. What if it had been A sin(ωx)?
can you give me a hit of what should I do

rashida564 said:
can you give me a hit of what should I do
What determines the acceleration at a given point on a curve if the speed is constant?

The direction of the acceleration. It must be tangential to the curve

Is it true this way because it will be a rotating vector, or I just got it by pure luck again😭😭😭
not sure though why should it v times v

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 123
You know that ##y = \sin{x}## describes the trajectory of the particle, and you want to find something relating to the acceleration in the ##y## direction, ##\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}##. What happens if you try finding the second derivative of ##y## with respect to ##t##? Then, what values can you substitute into this expression given the critical condition in the question?

Last edited by a moderator:
rashida564 said:
The direction of the acceleration. It must be tangential to the curve
No, no. Tangential acceleration would change the speed.

etotheipi said:
something relating to the acceleration in the y direction
Not in general, but in this case yes. E.g. consider rotating the axes a little.

Likes etotheipi
rashida564 said:
Is it true this way because it will be a rotating vector, or I just got it by pure luck again😭😭😭
not sure though why should it v times v
You'd need to justify dv/dt = v2. Where did that come from? Remember |v| is given as constant.

that's from the rotation of axis. Like any vector. dA/dt= A*w. where w is the rate in which it changes it's direction. Not sure why this vector change it's direction by magnitude of v

rashida564 said:
Like any vector. dA/dt= A*w. where w is the rate in which it changes it's direction.
If you want to justify it in terms of vectors you'll need to write it appropriately to be understood.
Do you mean that if ##|\vec A|## is constant then ##|\frac{d\vec A}{dt}|=|\vec A|\omega## where ω is .. what algebraically ?

rashida564 said:
Homework Statement:: Position of an object is given by y(X)=sin(x),

It is not a circular motion.
Imagine it is a car going up a hill with constant speed v. The horizontal displacement of the car is x, the vertical one is y. The shape of the hill is y=sin(x). Determine the x and y components of acceleration at the top of the hill.

haruspex said:
If you want to justify it in terms of vectors you'll need to write it appropriately to be understood.
Do you mean that if ##|\vec A|## is constant then ##|\frac{d\vec A}{dt}|=|\vec A|\omega## where ω is .. what algebraically ?
Yes sir sorry for my messy writing, this what I am trying to figure out, the left hand side is " |d→Adt||dA→dt| clearly g, the ##|\vec A|\## is v, but I don't get what's w

Last edited:
rashida564 said:
Yes sir sorry for my messy writing
So how do you get ##|\frac{\vec{dv}}{dt}|=|\vec v|^2##?

w must be equal to v, but I don't know how to define w. like what's it's formula

rashida564 said:
w must be equal to v, but I don't know how to define w. like what's it's formula
What do you know about centripetal acceleration?

It's to the center and equal to v^2/r

rashida564 said:
It's to the center and equal to v^2/r
And what is its direction relative to the velocity?

Related to Maximum Acceleration: I Got the Correct Answer

What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration is the highest possible rate of change in velocity that an object can achieve. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is maximum acceleration calculated?

Maximum acceleration is calculated by taking the change in velocity over a certain time period and dividing it by that time period. The formula for calculating maximum acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What factors affect maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration can be affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the object, the force applied, and any resistance or friction present. Additionally, the medium the object is moving through can also impact maximum acceleration.

Why is maximum acceleration important?

Maximum acceleration is important because it helps us understand how quickly an object can change its velocity. It is also a crucial concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation, where it is used to design and optimize various systems and vehicles.

What is the difference between maximum acceleration and average acceleration?

Maximum acceleration is the highest possible rate of change in velocity that an object can achieve, while average acceleration is the average rate of change in velocity over a given time period. Maximum acceleration is often used to describe instant changes, while average acceleration is used to describe overall changes over a longer period of time.