Maximum acceleration up ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum possible acceleration of a remote-controlled car up a ramp with a 20 degree incline and coefficients of static and kinetic friction of .70 and .50, respectively. The solution involves using a free body force diagram and solving for acceleration using the equation a = (-mgsin20 + mgcos20)/m. The conversation ends with the clarification that the "m" in the numerator cancels out with the "m" in the denominator.
diffusion
You are trying to have your remote-controlled car leap off a ramp, which happens to be at a 20 degree incline to the ground. If the coefficients of static and kinetic friction are .70 and .50, repsectively, what is the maximum possible acceleration of the remote-controlled car up the ramp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Have you drawn a free body force diagram? Also we need to see your attempt at the solution before we can help you.

Not sure how to find the solution, but I'll wing it.

Max acceleration = -mg(sin20) + max static friction / mass.

Max static friction = static coefficient x normal force = 0.70 x n

Find n (Net force in y-direction) = mgcos20.

Now you plug mgcos20 back into the original equation

-mg(sin20) + mgcos20 / mass.

Stuck here.

diffusion said:
Not sure how to find the solution, but I'll wing it.
Looks like you knew more than you thought. :wink:

-mg(sin20) + mgcos20 / mass.

Stuck here.
Looks good to me. Realize that mass = m, so it cancels. And use parentheses, to reduce mistakes. I'd write that as:

a = ( -mgsin20 + mgcos20 )/m

Doc Al said:
Looks like you knew more than you thought. :wink:

Looks good to me. Realize that mass = m, so it cancels. And use parentheses, to reduce mistakes. I'd write that as:

a = ( -mgsin20 + mgcos20 )/m

I realize this is going to be a stupid question, but how do they cancel? In the numerator you have two mg's, only one in the denominator. Isn't that going to leave you with another m?

diffusion said:
In the numerator you have two mg's, only one in the denominator. Isn't that going to leave you with another m?
No. Each term in the numerator has a single "m". It factors out like so:

mX + mY = m(X + Y)

Doc Al said:
No. Each term in the numerator has a single "m". It factors out like so:

mX + mY = m(X + Y)

Gotcha. Thanks.

What is maximum acceleration up a ramp?

Maximum acceleration up a ramp is the fastest rate at which an object can increase its velocity while moving up a ramp without slipping or losing traction.

How is maximum acceleration up a ramp calculated?

Maximum acceleration up a ramp can be calculated using the formula a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where a is the maximum acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the ramp, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

What factors affect maximum acceleration up a ramp?

The factors that affect maximum acceleration up a ramp include the angle of the ramp, the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the object, and the mass of the object.

What is the relationship between maximum acceleration up a ramp and the angle of the ramp?

The relationship between maximum acceleration up a ramp and the angle of the ramp is inverse. As the angle of the ramp increases, the maximum acceleration decreases.

Why is maximum acceleration up a ramp important to understand?

Understanding maximum acceleration up a ramp is important for engineers and scientists who need to design and optimize ramp structures for vehicles and other moving objects. It also helps in predicting and preventing accidents that may occur due to excessive acceleration on a ramp.