Maximum force exerted by floor?

In summary, the maximum force exerted by the floor on the ball when it bounces is 1085.92 N. This is found by using the equations for velocity and impulse, and considering the direction of the momentum.
kristibella
1. A 220 g ball is dropped from a height of 2.2 m, bounces on a hard floor, and rebounds to a height of 1.7 m. The figure shows the impulse received from the floor.

What maximum force does the floor exert on the ball?

physicsfigure.jpg

Homework Equations

To find the velocity, I used vi=[tex]\sqrt{}2gh[/tex] and vf=[tex]\sqrt{}2gh[/tex]. To find the impulse, I used F= [tex]\stackrel{}{}m(vf-vi)t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi = 6.57 m/s (I used 2.2m for h)
Vf = 5.77 m/s (I used 1.7 m for h)
t= .005 s
F = [tex]\stackrel{(220)(5.77-6.57)}{.005}[/tex] = -35,200

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kristibella said:
1. A 220 g ball is dropped from a height of 2.2 m, bounces on a hard floor, and rebounds to a height of 1.7 m. The figure shows the impulse received from the floor.

What maximum force does the floor exert on the ball?

physicsfigure.jpg

Homework Equations

To find the velocity, I used
[tex]v_i = \sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
and
[tex]v_f = \sqrt{2gh}[/tex].
To find the impulse, I used
[tex]F= \frac{m(vf-vi)}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Vi = 6.57 m/s (I used 2.2m for h)
Vf = 5.77 m/s (I used 1.7 m for h)
t= .005 s
F = [tex]\stackrel{(220)(5.77-6.57)}{.005}[/tex] = -35,200

Mind your units
[tex]F_{avg} = \frac {(.220)(5.77-6.57)}{.005} = -35.2N[/tex] This is the Average Force.

Your Force Graph indicates that it is Triangular, hence the Maximum Force is twice the Average.

Fmax = 70.4 N

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Mind your units
[tex]F_{avg} = \frac {(.220)(5.77-6.57)}{.005} = -35.2N[/tex] This is the Average Force.

Your Force Graph indicates that it is Triangular, hence the Maximum Force is twice the Average.

Fmax = 70.4 N

I found this post while googling my problem just to see how others had attempted it, and I noticed another mistake here. You have to consider the direction of the momentum. One of the velocities should be negative, because they are going in opposite directions. Therefore we have 5.77 + 6.57 for Jx rather than 5.77 - 6.57. Fmax should actually be 1085.92 N here.

1. What is the maximum force exerted by a floor?

The maximum force exerted by a floor is determined by its weight-bearing capacity, which is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi). This capacity varies depending on the type of flooring material and the construction of the floor.

2. How is the maximum force exerted by a floor calculated?

The maximum force exerted by a floor is calculated by dividing the floor's weight-bearing capacity by the area of the floor. This calculation gives the maximum amount of weight that the floor can support without failing or collapsing.

3. Can the maximum force exerted by a floor be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum force exerted by a floor can be exceeded if the weight placed on the floor is greater than its weight-bearing capacity. This can result in the floor failing or collapsing, causing potential injury or damage.

4. How can the maximum force exerted by a floor be increased?

The maximum force exerted by a floor can be increased by reinforcing the floor with additional support beams or columns, using stronger and thicker flooring materials, and following proper construction and weight distribution guidelines.

5. What factors can affect the maximum force exerted by a floor?

The weight-bearing capacity of a floor can be affected by factors such as the type and quality of flooring material, the construction and design of the floor, the age and condition of the floor, and the distribution and placement of weight on the floor. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the maximum force exerted by a floor.