Maximum Likelihood Estimator + Prior

In summary: So, if \pi_{ML} does not equal \pi when 1/2≤∏≤1, then \pi_{ML} may not be the best estimator. Can you help me out more with an example to see this in action?
Scootertaj
1.Suppose that X~B(1,∏). We sample n times and find n1 ones and n2=n-n1zeros
a) What is ML estimator of ∏?
b) What is the ML estimator of ∏ given 1/2≤∏≤1?
c) What is the probability ∏ is greater than 1/2?
d) Find the Bayesian estimator of ∏ under quadratic loss with this prior

2. The attempt at a solution
a) [tex]L=\pi^n_1 *(1-\pi)^{n_2}[/tex]
Do [tex]\frac{d(logL)}{d\pi} = \frac{n_1}{\pi} - \frac{n_2}{1-\pi}[/tex] → [tex]\pi_{ML} = \frac{n_1}{n}[/tex]
b) not sure how to go about
c) not sure
d) I think I know how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Scootertaj said:
1.Suppose that X~B(1,∏). We sample n times and find n1 ones and n2=n-n1zeros
a) What is ML estimator of ∏?
b) What is the ML estimator of ∏ given 1/2≤∏≤1?
c) What is the probability ∏ is greater than 1/2?
d) Find the Bayesian estimator of ∏ under quadratic loss with this prior

2. The attempt at a solution
a) [tex]L=\pi^n_1 *(1-\pi)^{n_2}[/tex]
Do [tex]\frac{d(logL)}{d\pi} = \frac{n_1}{\pi} - \frac{n_2}{1-\pi}[/tex] → [tex]\pi_{ML} = \frac{n_1}{n}[/tex]
b) not sure how to go about
c) not sure
d) I think I know how.

In (b) you are asked to maximize L (or log L) subject to 1/2 ≤ π ≤ 1. Your solution to )a)_ may, or may not work in this case. When does it work? When does it fail? If it fails, what then must be the solution?

RGV

What do you mean fail?
Intuitively, [tex]\pi_{ML}=\frac{n_1}{n}[/tex] would "fail" in the case that it is [tex]\frac{n_1}{n} < 1/2[/tex]
But, I'm not sure what our solution must be then if it fails.

Scootertaj said:
What do you mean fail?
Intuitively, [tex]\pi_{ML}=\frac{n_1}{n}[/tex] would "fail" in the case that it is [tex]\frac{n_1}{n} < 1/2[/tex]
But, I'm not sure what our solution must be then if it fails.

"Fail" = does not succeed = is wrong = does not work. When that is the case, something must have happened; what was that? What does that tell you about the behaviour of L(π)? (Hint: draw a hypothetical graph.)

RGV

Well, based off the graph of [tex]\pi^{n_1}(1-\pi)^{n_2}[/tex] with several different n1 and n2 values plugged in that the best choice would be [tex]\pi=n1/n[/tex] when [tex]1/2≤n1/n≤1[/tex], else we choose [tex]\pi=1/2[/tex] since we usually look at the corner points (1/2 and 1)

1. What is a Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

A Maximum Likelihood Estimator is a statistical method used to estimate the parameter values of a population based on a sample. It is based on the principle that the values of the parameters that make the observed data most likely to occur are the most accurate estimates.

2. What is a Prior in the context of Maximum Likelihood Estimation?

In Maximum Likelihood Estimation, a Prior is a probability distribution that represents the beliefs or knowledge about the values of the parameters before any data is observed. It is used to incorporate existing information into the estimation process.

3. How is a Prior chosen in Maximum Likelihood Estimation?

The choice of Prior in Maximum Likelihood Estimation depends on the type of data and the assumptions about the parameters. It can be chosen based on previous studies, expert opinions, or it can be derived from the data itself using techniques such as Bayesian statistics.

4. Can a Prior affect the results of Maximum Likelihood Estimation?

Yes, the choice of Prior can affect the results of Maximum Likelihood Estimation. A strong Prior can influence the estimates and reduce the variability of the results, while a weak Prior may have little effect on the estimates.

5. Is Maximum Likelihood Estimation with a Prior always better than without a Prior?

Not necessarily. In some cases, a strong Prior can improve the accuracy of the estimates, but in others, it may introduce bias. It is important to choose a Prior carefully and to assess its impact on the results.