Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement

In summary, using the conservation of angular momentum and taking into consideration the changing moment of inertia as people move from the outer surface to the axis, we can calculate the maximum possible percentage change in the station's angular speed due to this radial movement. This can be done by comparing the angular momentum at the outer edge of the cylinder (r=82.5m) to the angular momentum at the axis (r=0m).
franknew

Homework Statement

A cylindrically shaped space station is rotating about the axis of the cylinder to create artificial gravity. The radius of the cylinder is 82.5 m. The moment of inertia of the station without people is 3.00 x 10^9 kg m^2. Suppose 500 people, with an average mass of 70.0 kg each, live on this station. As they move radially from the outer surface of the cylinder toward the axis, the angular speed of the station changes. What is the maximum possible percentage change in the station’s angular speed due to the radial movement of the people?

Homework Equations

I think it is:
mgh + 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 = 1/2mv(f)^2 + 1/2Iw(f)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an example that the teacher did that I think is sort-of the same thing using the above formula. I'm just not sure how to use it with my question.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

Physics news on Phys.org

You're using a conservation of energy equation. That has a few problems:

(1) Energy is not necessarily conserved; some energy is lost when the astronauts move along the spaceship.
(2) mgh is gravitational potential energy, but this artificial gravity is non-uniform; it doesn't have a constant g.

Instead, use the conservation of angular momentum, which always applies in the absence of outside torque. Of course, the station's moment of inertia changes when people move from the outside to the axis, and you have to take that into consideration.

ideasrule said:
You're using a conservation of energy equation. That has a few problems:

(1) Energy is not necessarily conserved; some energy is lost when the astronauts move along the spaceship.
(2) mgh is gravitational potential energy, but this artificial gravity is non-uniform; it doesn't have a constant g.

Instead, use the conservation of angular momentum, which always applies in the absence of outside torque. Of course, the station's moment of inertia changes when people move from the outside to the axis, and you have to take that into consideration.

So instead of using Ekin=1/2mv^2, I will use Ekin=1/2Iw^2?

I think I need to do the calculation when r=82.5m for when the people are at outer edge of the cynlindrical satellite and then do another when r=0m for when the people are at the axis. I'm just not sure how I can do this with the equation I have.

What is "Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement"?

"Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement" is a measure of how much the rotational speed of a station changes due to the movement of people inside it.

How is "Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement" calculated?

This measure is calculated by comparing the maximum rotational speed of a station when it is empty to the maximum rotational speed when it is filled with people. The percentage change between these two values is then calculated.

Why is it important to measure the "Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement"?

Measuring this change in rotational speed allows us to understand the impact of human movement on the stability and safety of a station. It can also help engineers design and maintain stations that can handle the expected amount of foot traffic without compromising structural integrity.

What factors can influence the "Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement"?

The main factor is the number of people moving within the station. Other factors can include the design and layout of the station, the weight and distribution of people, and the condition of the station's infrastructure.

How can the "Max % Change in Station Angular Speed Due to People Movement" be minimized?

To minimize this change in rotational speed, engineers can implement measures such as reinforcing the station's structure, designing wider and more efficient pathways for foot traffic, and limiting the number of people allowed inside the station at one time.