Maximum Speed of a Whirling Rock on a String - Solving a Physics Problem

In summary, the highest speed the 630 gram rock can reach before the string breaks is 0.125 m/s. The calculation is done using the formula T=mv^2/r and solving for v. The conversion from 49 cm to 0.49 m was initially incorrect, but the error was corrected to arrive at the correct answer. Neglecting gravity, the tension of 20 N is the only force acting on the rock.
mattmannmf
A 630 gram rock is whirled on the end of a string 49 cm long which will break under a tension of 20 N.

a) What is the highest speed the rock can reach before the string breaks? (Neglect gravity.)
V=M/S

T- mg= ma

T-mg= m(v^2/r) solve for v

i get 2.188 m/s (which is wrong)

20-(630*9.8)= (630)(v^2/.49)

I converted 49 cm into .49 meters

help?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know why you have the mg term in there. I think all you need is the T=mv^2/r and solve for v.

20= (630)*( (v^2)/ .49)

v= .125 m/s... that was wrong when i plugged it in

nvm, i got it. conversion problem thanks!

What is the "String break physics problem"?

The "String break physics problem" refers to a theoretical scenario where a string or rope is pulled with a certain amount of force, causing it to break. This problem is often used in physics to study the relationship between force, tension, and the breaking point of a string.

What factors affect the breaking point of a string?

The breaking point of a string can be affected by several factors, including the type and thickness of the string, the material it is made of, the temperature, and the amount of force or tension applied to the string.

How is the breaking point of a string calculated?

The breaking point of a string can be calculated using the formula F = T/L, where F is the force required to break the string, T is the tension applied to the string, and L is the length of the string. This formula is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to an elastic object (such as a string) is directly proportional to the amount of stretch.

What is the relationship between force and tension in the "String break physics problem"?

In the "String break physics problem", the force applied to the string is directly related to the tension in the string. As the force increases, so does the tension, until it reaches a point where the tension exceeds the breaking point of the string and it snaps.

How is the "String break physics problem" used in real life?

The "String break physics problem" is often used in engineering and construction to determine the strength and durability of materials, such as ropes and cables. It is also used in sports and recreational activities, such as rock climbing, to determine the maximum weight or force that a rope can support before breaking.