Maximum speed of an electron in an ideal solenoid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
efredman
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A particular ideal solenoid has 1200 turns/m, a radius of 10 cm, and a current of 4.0 A. An electron is fired from the axis of the solenoid in a direction perpendicular to the axis. What is the maximum speed the electron can have if it is not run into the side of the solenoid?


I know the answer is 5.3 ×10^7 m/s but I have no idea how to arrive there... Any help would be great. Thanks.


Homework Equations



u=4pi*10^-7 T m/A

n=N/L

B=u*n*I

The Attempt at a Solution



I just plugged in the values to get B which ended up being .006032T and than used r=(mv)/(qB) to get v... but that didn't seem to work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't confuse the radius of the solenoid with the radius of curvature of the electron's trajectory. The electron's trajectory will describe a circle. What's its maximum diameter?