1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum speed of an electron in an ideal solenoid

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particular ideal solenoid has 1200 turns/m, a radius of 10 cm, and a current of 4.0 A. An electron is fired from the axis of the solenoid in a direction perpendicular to the axis. What is the maximum speed the electron can have if it is not run into the side of the solenoid?

I know the answer is 5.3 ×10^7 m/s but I have no idea how to arrive there... Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

u=4pi*10^-7 T m/A

n=N/L

B=u*n*I

3. The attempt at a solution

I just plugged in the values to get B which ended up being .006032T and than used r=(mv)/(qB) to get v.... but that didn't seem to work.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Don't confuse the radius of the solenoid with the radius of curvature of the electron's trajectory. The electron's trajectory will describe a circle. What's its maximum diameter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook