Maximum Range for Projectile Motion

In summary, The maximum range of a particle from a point on a plane inclined at an angle alpha to the horizontal is given by R=\frac{u^2}{g}(\cos\alpha-\sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha, where the velocity of projection is u at an angle theta to the horizontal. This can be verified by using the trigonometrical identity 2cosAsinB=sin(A+B) and finding the maximum value of R as theta varies. Differentiating the equation shows that the reasoning given in part (a) is incorrect.
John O' Meara
The range of a particle from a point on a plane which is inclined at an angle alpha to the horizontal is given by [tex] R=\frac{2u^2}{g}\cos\theta\sin(\theta-\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha \\[/tex], where the velocity of projection is u at an angle theta to the horizontal. Using the trigonometrical identity 2cosAsinB=sin(A+B), find the maximum value of R as theta varies. Verify your result by differentation.(a)
[tex] R=\frac{u^2}{g}(\sin(2\theta-\alpha)-\sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha\\[/tex]. Maximum range for a given velocity of projection: since [tex] \sin(\pi- \theta) = \cos\theta \\[/tex]. Therefore the same values of R will be obtained whether the angle of projection is theta or pi-theta. Although the range will be the same for both angles, the time taken and height will be different. R is greatest when [tex] \sin2\theta = \pi \mbox{ therefore }\\ R_{max} = \frac{u^2}{g}(\sin\pi-\alpha \ - \ \sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha \\ \mbox{which } =\frac{u^2}{g}(\cos\alpha - \sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha\\ [/tex].
(b) I get [tex] \frac{dR}{d\theta} = \frac{2u^2\sec^2 \alpha}{g}(\cos2\theta \cos\alpha +\sin2\theta\sin\alpha) \\ [/tex]. I think my reasoning is wrong in part (a), please show me where I'm wrong. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB... not 2sinAcosB

What is a "Maximum value question"?

A "Maximum value question" is a type of question that asks for the highest or greatest possible value within a given set of data or parameters.

Why are "Maximum value questions" important in science?

"Maximum value questions" are important in science because they allow researchers to identify the upper limit or extreme values within a dataset, which can provide valuable insights and help guide further research.

How do scientists determine the maximum value in a dataset?

Scientists determine the maximum value in a dataset by analyzing the data and identifying the highest value. This can be done manually or with the use of statistical tools and software.

What is the difference between the maximum value and the average or mean value?

The maximum value is the highest value in a dataset, while the average or mean value is the sum of all values divided by the total number of values. The maximum value can be an outlier or extreme value, whereas the average or mean value represents the overall trend in the data.

Can the maximum value change over time?

Yes, the maximum value can change over time as new data is collected and analyzed. Additionally, external factors such as changes in the environment or technology can also impact the maximum value in a dataset.