1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum value question

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    The range of a particle from a point on a plane which is inclined at an angle alpha to the horizontal is given by [tex] R=\frac{2u^2}{g}\cos\theta\sin(\theta-\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha \\[/tex], where the velocity of projection is u at an angle theta to the horizontal. Using the trigonometrical identity 2cosAsinB=sin(A+B), find the maximum value of R as theta varies. Verify your result by differentation.(a)
    [tex] R=\frac{u^2}{g}(\sin(2\theta-\alpha)-\sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha\\[/tex]. Maximum range for a given velocity of projection: since [tex] \sin(\pi- \theta) = \cos\theta \\[/tex]. Therefore the same values of R will be obtained whether the angle of projection is theta or pi-theta. Although the range will be the same for both angles, the time taken and height will be different. R is greatest when [tex] \sin2\theta = \pi \mbox{ therefore }\\ R_{max} = \frac{u^2}{g}(\sin\pi-\alpha \ - \ \sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha \\ \mbox{which } =\frac{u^2}{g}(\cos\alpha - \sin\alpha)\sec^2 \alpha\\ [/tex].
    (b) I get [tex] \frac{dR}{d\theta} = \frac{2u^2\sec^2 \alpha}{g}(\cos2\theta \cos\alpha +\sin2\theta\sin\alpha) \\ [/tex]. I think my reasoning is wrong in part (a), please show me where I'm wrong. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB.... not 2sinAcosB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?