1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure theory: kernel mapping

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    Let (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]), (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]) be measurable spaces. A function [tex]K: X \times \mathcal{B} \rightarrow [0, +\infty[/tex]] is called a kernel from (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]) to (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]) if

i) for each x in X, the function B [tex]\mapsto[/tex] K(x,B) is a measure on (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]), and
    ii) for each B in [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex], the function x [tex]\mapsto[/tex] K(x,B) is [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable.

Suppose that K is a kernel from (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]) to (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]), that [tex]\mu[/tex] is a measure on (X, [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]) and that f is a [0, +[tex]\infty[/tex]]-valued [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]-measurable function on Y. Show that

a) B [tex]\mapsto \int K(x,B) \mu(dx)[/tex] is a measure on (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex])

b) x [tex]\mapsto \int f(y) K(x,dy)[/tex] is an [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable function on X, and

c) if [tex]\nu[/tex] is the measure on (Y, [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex]) defined in part (a), then
    [tex]\int f(y) \nu(dy) = \int [\int f(y) K(x,dy)] \mu (dx)[/tex]

Solution:
    I can show part (a) quite easily, just unwind the definition of measure (countable additive follows from the properties of the kernel.)
    I can show part (b) as well; it will end up being a finite sum of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable functions (again, from the dual nature of the kernel.)

But I am having the darndest time with part (c). Essentially, I can show that

[tex] \int f(y)\nu(dy) = \int f(y) ( \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx) )[/tex]

just by definition, but I can't get past that. I was trying to isolate the kernel K(x,dy) within the bracketed integral; and say that since it's [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]-measurable, then

[tex] f(y) \int K(x,dy) \mu(dx) = \int f(y) K(x,dy) \mu(dx) [/tex]

as f(y) is a real number. But I don't think that's quite right; and definitely not rigorous enough for my tastes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?