Measurement of Ciss, Coss, Crss

  • Thread starter Thread starter eep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Measurement
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 17K views
eep
Messages
225
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to devise some circuits to measure Ciss, Coss, and Crss for an n-channel JFET, and I'm running into trouble. I know these measurements are made all the time, but can't find any information anywhere about how one would go about actually measuring them. I am also confused by Crss in general because if the gate, drain, and source are all shorted where does Cgd come into play?

Ciss is when drain and source are shorted to each other, gives you gate-drain capacitance (Cgd) in parallel with gate-source capacitance (Cgs) so Ciss = Cgd + Cgs

Coss is when gate and source are shorted, gives you Cgd + Cds (drain-source capacitance)

Crss is when gate, source, and drain are all shorted together, gives you Cgd
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have access to a good quality capacitance meter that can measure accurately down in the pF range? Are you familiar how to null out the effects of the stray capacitance of your fixture?