Measuring the Resistance of a Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a school lab where the student is measuring the resistance of a wire and is advised to keep the current constant throughout the experiment. This is important because it affects the generated heat and the temperature of the wire, which can impact the accuracy of the results. The student is also reminded to consider the graph they are expected to plot and the relationship between resistance and temperature for metals.
Peter G.
Hi,

First and foremost, I hope this question doesn't sound stupid!

I am doing a lab for school in which I have to measure the resistance of a wire. As part of that, I have to measure the p.d across the wire and the current through it. After collecting my results my teacher said that I should have kept the current constant throughout... He wasn't in today so I couldn't ask him why?

Why should I keep the current constant?

Thanks,
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

First and foremost, I hope this question doesn't sound stupid!

I am doing a lab for school in which I have to measure the resistance of a wire. As part of that, I have to measure the p.d across the wire and the current through it. After collecting my results my teacher said that I should have kept the current constant throughout... He wasn't in today so I couldn't ask him why?

Why should I keep the current constant?

Thanks,
Peter

That will depend upon the details of the lab procedure and how you're expected to handle the collected data for your writeup. Are there particular graphs you're expected to plot?

Note also that if the wire has resistance it'll be generating heat when current flows through it. More current means more heat per unit length. How does resistance vary with temperature for metals? For a given current the steady-state temperature of the wire will be constant (the temperature will settle at a point where the radiated heat = generated heat).

I am expected to plot a graph of resistance against length. Thanks for the response, I know acknowledge the importance of setting the current constant!

Related to Measuring the Resistance of a Wire

1. What is the purpose of measuring the resistance of a wire?

The purpose of measuring the resistance of a wire is to determine how easily electricity can flow through it. This information is important in designing and building electrical circuits.

2. What tools are needed to measure the resistance of a wire?

The most common tool used to measure resistance is a digital multimeter. Other tools that may be used include an ohmmeter or a Wheatstone bridge.

3. How is the resistance of a wire measured?

The resistance of a wire is measured by connecting the wire to the multimeter or other measuring device, setting the device to measure resistance, and then recording the value displayed on the screen.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire can be affected by its length, thickness, and material. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of impurities can also impact resistance.

5. Why is it important to use the correct units when measuring resistance?

Using the correct units when measuring resistance is important because it ensures that the measurement is accurate and can be easily compared to other measurements. The standard unit for resistance is ohms (Ω).