Measuring the Transverse Velocity of a Galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of apparent transverse velocity v to find the distance to the galactic nucleus, known as D. The images attached show the numbers (decimal) years, with the first image from mid 1977 and the last from mid 1980. The best approach is to find the separation between the galaxy and jet in all 5 images and make a linear fit, but for a homework problem, it is acceptable to only use the first and last image.
fishlens
Homework Statement
In the figure below we see a component of a jet of a galactic nucleus which is moving away from its nucleus. The distance to the galactic nucleus is D. What is the observed apparent transverse velocity? And what is the value of the Lorentz factor needed to explain this motion?

Figure : https://imgur.com/a/t0m7kCr
Relevant Equations
gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) (gamma - Lorentz factor, v - velocity, c - speed of light)
See the attached figure.

I understand that we look for the apparent transverse velocity v , for example through v = d/t (d - distance, t - time). The distance to the galactic nucleus is known as D. Though I am not sure how to read off the time from this figure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers next to the images are (decimal) years. The first image is from mid 1977, the last from mid 1980.

Hi, thanks for the reply @m
mfb said:
The numbers next to the images are (decimal) years. The first image is from mid 1977, the last from mid 1980.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I assumed that it was the time in years. Though, I am not sure if we should take the time span to be the whole time difference between mid 1977 to mid 1980. Why should we do this? I am confused about this. Also, are we not supposed to use the x-axis in some way? Sorry for maybe dumb questions.

The best approach is to find the separation between galaxy and jet in all 5 images and to make a linear fit. For a homework problem it should be acceptable to just take the first and last image.That's the distance between us and the galaxy, not the distance between jet and galaxy.

Likes fishlens

1. What is transverse velocity?

Transverse velocity is the speed at which an object, in this case a galaxy, moves perpendicular to an observer's line of sight.

2. How is the transverse velocity of a galaxy measured?

The transverse velocity of a galaxy can be measured by observing its apparent motion across the sky over a period of time and using its distance to calculate its transverse speed.

3. What tools are used to measure the transverse velocity of a galaxy?

Astronomers use telescopes equipped with specialized instruments such as spectroscopes and interferometers to observe and measure the transverse velocity of galaxies.

4. Why is measuring the transverse velocity of a galaxy important?

Measuring the transverse velocity of a galaxy can help us understand its motion and trajectory, which in turn can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies and the larger structure of the universe.

5. Can the transverse velocity of a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the transverse velocity of a galaxy can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other galaxies and the effects of dark matter. However, these changes are typically gradual and can only be observed over long periods of time.