1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Vectors

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    vector.jpg
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is an example problem in my calculus textbook. I don't get how they relate the position vector to the force vector. I have taken a calculus based physic course and I don't remember establishing such relationship between the position and the force vectors.

Note: I have attached a picture of the situation.

A television camera weighing 120 pounds is supported by a tripod, as shown in Figure 11.23. Represent the force exerted on each leg of the tripod as a vector.

2. Relevant equations
    u=cv
    v + u= v1 + u1, v2 + u2, v3 + u3
    cv=cv1, cv2, cv3

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the vectors and represent the forces exerted on the three legs. From Figure 11.23, you can determine the directions of and to be as follows:

PQ1= <0,-1,-4>
    PQ2= <√3/2, 1/2,-4>
    PQ3= <-√3/2, 1/2,-4>

Because each leg has the same length, and the total force is distributed equally among the three legs, you know that the magnitude of F1=F2=F3. So, there exists a constant such that

F1= c<0,-1,-4>=F2= c<√3/2, 1/2,-4>=F3= c<-√3/2, 1/2,-4>
    Let the total force exerted by the object be given by F= <0,0,-120> Then, using the fact that

F= F1 + F2 + F3

you can conclude that F1, F2, and F3 all have a vertical component of -40. This implies that c(-4)= -40 and c is equal to 10.
    Therefore, the forces exerted on the legs can be represented by

F1= <0,- 10, -40>
    F2= <5√3, 5, -40>
    F3= <-5√3, 5, -40>

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The assumption is that the legs only take up forces in the longitudinal direction and therefore must take a force in the direction they are pointing.

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    I'm sorry, but I am still not very clear on this.

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is an assumption (which will tend to be well founded). If the legs only take forces parallel to themselves, then the force in a leg must be proportional to any vector which is parallel to the leg. In particular, the difference vector between the camera position and where a leg stands is parallel to the leg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted